Creamy Risotto with mushrooms, Rombo, a sweet white fish baked with potatoes, with a sweet ending of Tiramisu and a bubbly Prosecco is just one of the Veneto menus that you will be preparing in our Cooking In A Castle program with Chef Donato. Our hands-on cooking class is a tasty temptation that unites the foods and flavors from the Veneto Region, including Treviso, Vicenza, Verona, Padova, and Venezia.
Executive Chef Donato leads you in hands-on cooking classes in his award-winning kitchen. This young & dynamic chef has already gained fame in some of the top kitchens in Italy and has settled in the beloved region of Veneto with a deepen knowledge of Italian culinary traditions. Chef Donato’s cooking is amazingly simple, fresh and seasonal, preserving the qualities and the characteristics of the ingredients. His cooking classes include a great representation of foods from each of the five areas within Veneto, and themed menus such as the Doge’s Table, and Marco Polo: Influences of the Orient in Venetian Cooking so you have a broad understanding of this fabulous northern Italian region and the influences that have contributed to the unique cooking styles. Settle into the Venetian countryside and get ready to prepare authentic regional foods, taste prized wines and experience the art & culture of the Nobile land of Veneto.
The rolling green of the Venetian countryside and the nearby Alps surround this 17th century villa, now a charming Relais and Chateaux hotel. Its convenient location is well connected to Treviso, is nearby to Venice, and yet is quietly set in on a private estate making it a storybook setting for you.
The hands-on cooking classes with Chef Donato feature recipes that represent a roundup of true Venetian cooking, and yet touch upon other parts of Italy, too. This rising star chef is the perfect teacher and guide through Venetian cooking, through history and today, and with opportunities to learn modern variations to traditional recipes for unique flavors and grand presentation. His kitchen and method are simple, ‘use seasonal local produce.’ He goes on to say, ‘cuisine is part of every Italian,’ and as you share the kitchen with Chef Donato, you understand his philosophy.
Classes are hands-on, educational and fun. Following each class lunch or dinner is served and includes the foods that were prepared in class.
The menus are Venetian and include, Risi e bisi-a rich and hearty rice and pea blend, Risotto nero, slow cooked rice made with fresh cuttlefish, Pennete con radicchio, small tube pasta tossed with sautéed radicchio, Bigoli, a healthy hearty pasta served in a delicate anchovy and onion sauce, Rombo con patate e funghi al forno, local flat fish oven baked with mushrooms and potatoes, or Osso Buco con Riso e piselli, veal with rice and peas. For desserts, Tiramisu, the classic creamy ladyfinger creation layered with Mascapone and café, Zaletti, polenta cookies spiked with grappa, raisins and pine nuts, and Sgropppino, a lemon chilled sorbet zested with Prosecco. Seasonal foods are always used for each class and so menus change accordingly. All menus carefully respect each cooking participant’s food likes, dislikes and allergies.
Your cooking program takes place at the privately owned villa located in the historic center of Follina. You are welcomed by the professional staff who will help you each step of the way. The 17th century villa is surrounded by the delicate landscapes of the Venetian Alps. Strategically located, it is close in proximity to Treviso, making it the ideal location for those who love the charm and quietness of the countryside, and yet close enough to the romantic city.
Asolo, Possagno, Treviso, Conegliano, Bassano del Grappa and Venice are all within driving distance from the property. Asolo is known as “the rare town where houses speak,” and there are several beautiful villas with enchanting gardens to visit here. It is easy to see where the name Asolo, from the Latin Asylum, came from in this peaceful village. So indulge yourself in the Venetian countryside lifestyle and discover the region’s passion for wine and art with a visit to this one-of-a-kind museum. The museum boasts collections of work by the famed Antonio Canova. You can also visit the enchanting Venetian Villas of Palladio, Villa Barbaro in Maser and Villa Emo Capodilista in Fanzolo di Vedelago~for the lover of art.
The Prosecco Road
The Prosecco Road extends from Conegliano to Valdobbiadene: a continuous line of golden vineyards among gentle hillsides, and where every now and then the landscape is dotted with an abbey, a lonely tree or a rustic farmhouse. Stop and enjoy the wines at the local inns, such as the Prosecco Superiore di Cartizze, an excellent modern wine.
Though Prosecco has always been present in the Treviso region, it grew in popularity in the fourteenth century thanks to trade with the Germans. From Carlo V to Enrico III, until today, anyone passing through the hills of the Marca territory knows to stop to taste this timeless sparkling dry white wine made from the Prosecco grape.
The elegant villa offers 14 bedrooms and several common areas & sitting rooms throughout. In liberty-style, the Villa annex contains 4 large independent suites also. The bedrooms are decorated in classic Veneto style, including Murano glass and Venetian lace bedding. Careful attention has been paid to every detail, as each bedroom is airy and spacious equipped with every modern comfort, some have private terraces, others a view of the nearby monastery, and yet others have their own private flower garden. Each room has a private bathroom and shower, hairdryer, minibar, telephone, Satellite TV, in-room safe and air conditioning. Nestled in the beautiful hills of the Prosecco vineyards the property sits like a Princess’s castle.
Itinerary: 4 Days, 3 Nights
Check in and start your program on any day of the week, subject to availability.
Day 1: Arrival & Welcome Dinner
- Arrival at Villa and settle into your accommodations. Enjoy a welcome cocktail as you settle in and introduction to the program with your hosts Giovanni & Rosy.
- In the evening, a Welcome Dinner awaits you, featuring a tasting menu. Beverages at a surcharge.
Day 2: Cooking Class 1
- Breakfast is served.
- In the morning, take a stroll by the villa or simply relax and enjoy your beautiful surroundings. Later in the morning, your driver will pick you up and take you for a tasting of local meat on a spit (spiedo).
- Return to villa.
- Following lunch, join Chef Donato in the kitchen for your hands-on Cooking Class 1. Some of the dishes you may prepare include little bundles of crispy red chicory, scampi with fennel cream and herbs and fresh spaghetti with veal ragout and artichokes. Or, try a themed menu such as the Doge’s Table, featuring the foods of the dukes of the Serenissima.
- Dinner follows on the foods prepared in class. Wine/beverages at a surcharge.
Day 3: Prosecco Tasting & Cooking Class 2
- Breakfast is served.
- In the morning, visit to a nearby wine maker and the farmhouse-cantina. Prosecco Tasting included.
- In the afternoon after lunch, return to the kitchen for your hands-on Cooking Class 2 with Chef Donato, featuring a seasonal menu or try a themed menu such as Marco Polo: Influences of the Orient in Venetian Cooking.
- Dinner follows on the foods prepared in class.Wine/beverages at a surcharge.
Day 4: Departure~
- Breakfast is served.
- Check out and Departure. Arrivederci!
- 4 days, 3 nights accommodations in double deluxe room, based on double occupancy. Click to View!
- Welcome cocktail upon arrival & fresh fruit in your room.
- Daily breakfast.
- Chef’s Welcome Dinner, wine/beverages not included.
- Two hands-on cooking lessons with lunch or dinner following with the foods prepared in class. Wine/beverages at a surcharge.
- Outing to taste local meat on the spit (spiedo), transfers included.
- Visit to local Prosecco wine maker with Prosecco tasting.
- Welcome Bag with Chef’s Apron.
$1,895 per person, based on double occupancy. Includes all taxes and Italian VAT.