Cooking & Trekking! Join us for our Positano Cooking & Walk Of The Gods – for a cooking & trekking week along the Amalfi Coast. The tour features the best of cooking and trekking through Positano, Amalfi & Agerola, and Capri too, for the most breathtaking Mediterranean walking and hiking experience!
When you are not trekking you will be cooking hands-on with Chefs Raffaele, Filomena and Fortunata learning how to make regional antipasto, fresh pasta, local fish, meat or pizza in the heart of Positano. To help burn away the calories from all of the fresh food made in the cooking classes, you will be walking and trekking throughout the week. So lace up your walking shoes and get ready to trek, walk and explore the Amalfi Coast’s famous Walk of The Gods and Capri’s Monte Solaro. Throughout your treks, Annarita and Franco will lead you along ancient footpaths and hillsides overlooking the sea where you will discover ancient pagan caves, old world water waterfalls and natural flora. You will learn about the Amalfi Coast and Capri’s fascinating history and traditions, while trekking alongside Mediterranean plants and hearing folkloric stories. And since all Italians love to talk about food, they will share their food notes and recipes on the regions’s cuisine.
Walk Of The Gods
Take a stroll among the divine Coast ~ it will take your breath away. The meandering path which is named after the Gods, was once only used by farmers who would walk to the top to meet merchants from Naples, but now it offers a beautiful hike for nature lovers. As the trails emerge through the hillside and trees, you’ll find yourself gazing over the Amalfi coastline and an infinite sea. This fabled path is also peppered with small houses, farms, lemon groves and fresh air!
Valle delle Ferriere
The waterways of the Amalfi Coast do not solely concern the sea. Enter the Valle delle Ferriere and soak up glorious views while you stride alongside a crisp, bubbling brook. Witness the relics of ages long past; abandoned paper mills, centuries-old manor ruins, and lush lemon groves. All of these scenic wonders lead to a series of tranquil waterfalls, all but hidden from view. The Valle delle Ferriere trek is a walk between sea and sky.
Capri’s Monte Solaro
Mount Solaro is the highest point on Capri and offers breathtaking views of the entire Gulf of Naples and Salerno. The walking and treking trail follows the crest of the cliffs above the sea, within view of the Punta Campanella. You will see many Capri’s unique birds, reptiles and flora along the way. From Anacapri, to the top of Monte Solaro, you are between island and sky. Once you reach the Belvedere Migliara, you can continue to Punta Carena and Fortini, or go down again to the east, following the path of Passetiello up to the square of Capri.
Each trek is accompanied with an experienced, licensed English-speaking guide. Each group is kept small, 2 to 8 people and is paced to your personal speed. We want to know your ability to walk slow or fast and will arrange walks based on your needs.
Our Cooking & Trails ~ Trekking Along The Walk Of The Gods & Capri’s Monte Solaro includes two hands-on cooking classes (you can always add-on more if you like) with lunch or dinner following. In each cooking class we use only fresh, regional and that are seasonal. Regional recipes will include antipasto and depending on the season: fiori di zucca ripieni – stuffed squash flowers, arancini, crochette di patate, involtini di melanzane, polpettini di melanzane, fresh handmade pasta: gnocchi, ravioli Capresi and scialatielli, a main course: spigola al limone, pesce all’acqua pazza, vitello Positanese, pollo con le erbe e limone, and dessert: torta Caprese, torta Vesuvio, babà soaked in limoncello, gelato and crostate. Wine is included with each cooking class.
Our Cooking & Trails ~ Trekking Along The Walk Of The Gods & Capri’s Monte Solaro is hosted at a villa-style Bed & Breakfast or 3, 4, or 5-star accommodation type, if you chose, and in Positano overlooking the sea. Cool ceramic tiles line each bedroom, with a private bathroom and shower in each room. Additional amenities include: hairdryer, safe, refrigerator, and air conditioning. Breakfast is served each morning, and daily maid service is provided for your convenience. Positano is filled with flowered pergolas and greenery, vertical cliffs jut from sea and its one winding road circles the town.
Positano is a gifrt from mother nature – with lemon trees, plush flora gardens and spectacular pink bougainvillea along with the sea. Guests can relax on their balcony, walk to the beach, or soak up the local atmosphere at one of the cozy sidewalk cafés. Shopping is a temptation with small artisan shops selling leather goods, handmade sandals, linens, ceramics and wine. Step out your door and stroll past cafés, artisan shops, and trattorias that spill onto the sidewalk with a panoramic view that spans Li Galli Islands to the coast of Cilento. As the sun sets, sink into your chair and watch the sun set upon a cerulean sea.
Shuttle boats and water taxis connect from each of Positano’s beaches and sail along the Amalfi Coast to Sorrento, Ischia, Capri, Amalfi and Naples.
Itinerary: 8 days, 7 nights
This program is scheduled from Saturday to Saturday, however you may check in and start your program on any day of the week. If you do start on a day other than Saturday, you will start your activities on that day, and all activities described will be included during your program.
Saturday: Benvenuto, Chef’s Tasting Dinner & Olive Oil Tasting
- Pick-up and transfer from Naples airport or train station to the property.
- Arrival & check-in. Refresh and relax with an aperitivo.
- Meet your Cooking Vacations’ hosts as we welcome you to Positano and introduction to your program. The week starts off with an introduction to the local food including a full course Chef’s Tasting Dinner at our favorite local restaurant. Dine on award-winning southern regional Italian food set in charming surroundings on the Amalfi Coast. (Wine, drinks, grappa and an assortment of after dinner digestives are not included, and are available at a surcharge).
Sunday: Capri, Italy’s Glamorous Seaside Island and The Blue Grotto & Walking Tour
- Breakfast is served
- A full-day visit to the Isle of Capri, where you can choose to see the Blue Grotto – the ‘Eighth Wonder of the World’, or stroll along the port. The Blue Grotto has a special cavern entrance where the sunlight reflects on the water in the cave, tingeing it a dramatic Mediterranean cerulean shade of blue. Capri is Italy’s most popular and well-known seaside island and is just twenty minutes away from Positano. Once in the port of Capri, head to Capri and visit the famous Piazza Umberto, for before your trek. The piazza, better known as ‘la piazzetta’, is perched high above the sea and offers a panoramic view of the Bay of Naples and Ischia.
- Then head to Anacapri, a favorite place on Capri and an old world village that had once captured the hearts of writers, artists and poets. Walk through narrow streets lined with Grecian-style whitewashed villas, ancient churches, and small bookshops. Meet our guide Annarita in the pizza Vittoria and either trek to or take the chair lift to Monte Solaro; pass the castle of Barbarosso, fields of Capri flowers and marvel at a clear blue sky that turns 360 degrees above.
The trek along Monte Solaro, through hills and gardens, is adjusted to your personal speed.
- After your trek to the top of Monte Solaro, take time out for a café at the top of the observatory and the opportunity to take great photos from Ischia to Naples and the Coast.
After the trek, return to Positano by boat and dinner on your own. Restaurant suggestions are included in our Restaurant Hot Pick List.
Monday: Cooking Class 1, Fresh Artisan Cheese~Cooking with Mozzarella
- Breakfast is served.
- Head into the kitchen for your Cooking Class 1. You will prepare traditional antipasto, pasta, main dish and dessert. Lunch follows and everyone dines the foods that were prepared in class. Toast with a glass of red or white wine, included. Linger as Italians do while enjoying the food from your cooking class.
- Afternoon is free and dinner on your own. In the evening, walk along Spiagga Grande and sit down in one of the charming cafés for an aperitivo and dinner.
Tuesday: The Path of The Gods
- Breakfast is served.
- Path Of Gods: Meet your guide Francesco and begin your walk. The meandering mountain path, once solely used by farmers, offers a beautiful hike for anyone who’s willing make the climb. Walk along a thick green forest that opens to slices of shimmering blue sea along the Amalfi Coast. The fabled path is dotted with a myriad of small towns along the way.
- Afternoon & evening free and on your own. Suggestion – wander round Positano’s hidden backstreets and piazzas for a Neapolitan pizza or seafood risotto. Our Restaurant Hot Pick list offers all the local best suggestions.
Wednesday: Cooking Class 2
- Breakfast is served.
- Morning is free. You may opt to add on our Limoncello Making Class. You will learn to make an array of lemon desserts and limoncello. Dessert and limoncello tasting follow.
- Cooking Class 2: Tie on your apron and get ready for your second hands-on cooking class. Start with our antipasto, fresh pasta, main course and dessert. Lunch or dinner follows and includes the foods prepared in class. Toast with a glass of red or white local wine, and end with a sweet dessert, both included. (Additional wines, beverages, after dinner drinks and more are available at a surcharge).
- Olive Oil Tasting. Join us for a tasting of Cooking Vacations’ locally produced extra virgin olive oil. At Cooking Vacations we make our own first-cold pressed extra virgin olive oil from healthy olives that have been tended and cared for all summer long. We use only the first cold press virgin olive oil and that means that the oil is pressed only one time giving it a clean fresh taste. Virgin means it is pure and not mixed with anything else. It is DOP-Denominazione di Origine Protetta, ‘origin protected’ domain of production-and made in Italy. The warm Mediterranean sun rich volcanic soil, sea salt winds make our olive oil quality and natural. We respect the old world process of picking our olives just at the right time and press only once extracting the purest of of oil – without chemicals. The olive oil tasting provides insight into tasting, cooking with and selecting the best olive oil.
- Enjoy the evening with dinner on your own.
Select from our Restaurant Hot Pick list.
Thursday: Tour The Amalfi Coast & Ravello
- Breakfast is served.
- Full day tour to Amalfi and Ravello with driver.
The town of Amalfi is rich in culture and history. The small town, perched on the coastline, is dominated by Amalfi’s Cathedral and its tiny streets are lined with small shops and elegant bars. Artisans and merchants make handmade sandals, ice cream, pastry, herbs and spices, jewelry and the beautiful handmade Amalfi paper along with lemon soap and liqueurs. We also suggest, see in your itinerary, the oldest and most famous pastry maker in southern Italy – dating back to the 1800’s ~ a café and dolce make for the perfect stop. Dessert include: chocolate drenched eggplant flavored with pine nuts, liqueur and orange; fragrant ricotta pear tarts; candied lemon and orange dragged in dark chocolate, sfogliatella, lemons slices in chocolate and profiteroles! Whatever you decide to order, take a seat outside in the piazza at one of the small café tables that overlook the greatest people-watching site on the Coast.
Our tour continues onto Ravello. This quaint town, often called the city between ‘Sea & Sky,’ is suspended high above the coast with sweeping views that span the Tyrrhenian Sea to the mountains behind.
Ravello is hailed the ‘International City of Music’ and is known for its precious panoramic view from the gardens of Villa Cimbrone. The town is perched 350 meters over the rocky spur of the Amalfi Coast separating the Valle del Dragone from the Valle del Regina. Today, Ravello is world-famous for its outdoor music concerts. Visit Villa Cimbrone, once the residence of Greta Garbo, wander through the lush gardens and the Terrazza Della Rosa, or stroll down the path that leads to the Terrazzo dell’Infinito, the Terrace of Infinity. The Terrace, a natural balcony, is adorned with imposing marble busts. From this unique vantage point, you can see the distant Cilento Mountains and Licosa,m beyond the sparkling sea, the lush Amalfi Coast, its distinctive terraces of colorful lemon trees, and the typical whitewashed houses that cling to the rugged coastline. Stroll along the streets and alleyways and discover little gems of churches, chapels, and noblemen’s residences. Also see the Cathedral, Villa Rufolo, San Giovanni del Tauro, and Santa Maria.
- Dinner is on your own, your Restaurant Hot Pick list will offer you lots to choose from.
Friday: Walking Through Valle Delle Ferriere
- Breakfast is served.
- Valle Delle Ferriere
- Meet your guide Francesco for an excursion to the Valle delle Ferriere. Enjoy glorious views as you explore the hills above Amalfi with its hidden streams, waterfalls and ancient mills. This valley is home to unique species of plants including a famous fern that is found only in this part of the coast. As you explore, relax and soak up the peaceful atmosphere that reigns here before heading back to Amalfi.
- Dinner is on your own, your Restaurant Hot Pick list will offer you lots to chose from.
Saturday: Check Out & Departure
- Breakfast is served.
- Departure transfer to airport or train station. Ciao e a presto!
*Note: This sample itinerary schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saints days; festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the week. Please note that museum tickets are not included in program price.
- Eight days and seven nights accommodations, based on double occupancy in a villa-style Bed & Breakfast with private bath, sea view and maid service. Click to view!
- Daily breakfast.
- Two hands-on cooking classes, with lunch or dinner following. A toast of local wine included, with additional wines, beverages, after-dinner liqueur and caffè available at a surcharge.
- Full course Chef’s Tasting Menu on your first night arrival. (Wine, beverages, after-dinner liqueurs and caffè available at a surcharge).
- Capri water taxi transfer, Positano to Capri.
- Walking Tour including the Path of God with private English guide (transfer with driver included from Positano to Agerola).
- Walking Tour including the Valle Delle Ferriere with private English speaking guide (transfers with driver included from Positano to Amalfi).
- Walking Tour on Capri, with private English-speaking guide.
- Excursion to Amalfi and Ravello with private driver. (Private tour guide available on request).
- Olive Oil Tasting with informal discussion and tastings.
- Welcome bag with chef’s apron, recipe booklet and information booklet.
- Welcome Prosecco cocktail.
- Round trip group transfers from Naples Airport or Naples Train station to Positano. *
* Wi-Fi internet connection available.
$3,195 per person, based on double occupancy with sea view. All taxes and Italian VAT included.
If you are a single traveler and would like to join a small group, please call us for best single pricing.
$2,895 per person, based on double occupancy with mountain view. All taxes and Italian VAT included.
Click to view Mountain View Option!
$755 starting price for single supplement.
2019 Dates: This program is available throughout the year. Check in is on Saturday, but you may check in and start your cooking program any day of the week. If you check in on any other day besides Saturday, you simply start your program on that day and pick up that day’s activities. You will have all your activities included. This program is available 12 months per year. Rates are subject to change based on currency exchange. Call for updated rates. Airfare not included. Group transfers for any cooking tour or tours that include transfers, are for the group and are not private. Transfers before, after or to another destination outside of your cooking tour are not included in the program price. If you would like to add on a private transfer or transfers, let us know and we will send you pricing.
***Positano has many stairs throughout. People who do not like to walk or have health problems are advised to read up on the landscape of Positano and reserve the 3-Star~By The Piazza or 4-Star option. We suggest walking shoes, sun block, and a hat for Capri and Pompeii.
ROUND TRIP TRANSFERS
*Round trip group transfers from Naples Airport/Train to Positano and from Positano to Naples Airport/Train are included in your program. 1 transfer per group each way. ARRIVAL-Arrival transfers from Naples Airport going to Positano are at scheduled 1:00pm and 4:00pm; and from Naples train station to Positano at 3:00pm, in consideration of international arrivals. Departures leave promptly at the scheduled time. For single travelers not arriving on a Saturday, an additional transfer fee will apply. Please call us if you have any questions about your airline and train itinerary.
If you cannot make the scheduled group transfer time, a special transfer can be reserved and the cost is 130€ per car; 165€ if after 6pm. All transfer fees are payable directly to the car service. Please call us if you have any questions.
DEPARTURE-Departure from the property in Positano to Naples Airport/Train are at 4am and 10am (in heavy traffic conditions, departures may start 30 minutes prior). 10am is the official property check out time on the morning of your departure. If you would like an earlier or later departure transfer, a special transfer departure can be reserved and the cost is 130€ per car; 165€ if before 8:00am.
For single travelers not arriving/departing on a Saturday, an additional transfer fee will apply. All extra add on transfer fees are payable directly to the car service. Please call us if you have any questions.