Aperitivo ~ Aperitif
Since Milan is noted for its apertivo, cocktail time, we salute the master of the aperitivo, Gaspare Campari. He was the creator of Campari, the famous drink that dates back to 1860. His recipe contains more than 60 natural ingredients including herbs, spices, barks and fruit peels. Even today, the coveted recipe is still kept under lock and key. Originally from Torino, Mr. Campari moved to Milano and set up a chic bar just at the Duomo. Shake up your summer party with a Negroni from Milano and make it a smash!
Number of servings: 1
- 1 oz Gin
- 1 oz Sweet Vermouth
- 1 oz Campari, straight up/rocks
- Orange wedge for garnish
- Combine gin, sweet vermouth, and Campari in an ice-filled glass
- Stir gently and garnish with an orange wedge
Antipasto ~ Appetizer
Insalata Di Gamberetti E Rughetta ~ Shrimp & Arugula Salad
Number of servings: 4
- ½ lb. Shrimp, cleaned
- 1 large bunch Arugula
- Curly Endive or Frisée, chopped
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Salt, to taste
- Boil the cleaned shrimp for 2-3 minutes, until light pink.
- Clean the arugula, discarding the thick stems, and keeping only the tender leaves.
- On a serving platter, spread a base of the chopped frisée.
- Next, spread the arugula leaves, then the boiled shrimp on top.
- When ready to serve, dress with olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Primi~ First Course
Pasta Con Crema Di Piselli ~ Pasta with Cream of Peas
Traditional Italian pasta with a fresh spring sauce made of peas, creamy cheese with aromatic herbs and tomatoes: my grandmother used to make it with the products of her vegetable garden, it’s one of my favorite vegetarian dishes of this season and it has the colors of the Italian flag! – Courtesy of Chef Clara, Milan. Cooking Classes At Home With Chef Clara ~ 5 Day
Number of servings: 4
- 1 lb/400 gr Durum Wheat Short pasta (farfalle, fusilli etc.)
- 2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups fresh Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 fresh Basil leaves, for garnish
Cream of Peas:
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 1 small Onion, minced
- 10 oz Peas, freshly shelled or frozen
- 1 cup fresh Heavy Cream
- 2 fresh Basil leaves
- 1 cup mixed fresh aromatic Herbs, minced (mint, basil, parsley etc.)
- 7 oz fresh creamy Cheese (ricotta, robiola etc.)
For the Cream of Peas:
- In a pan heat the butter, add the minced onion, cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the peas with one cup of hot water, salt and pepper and cook covered over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Then transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pour in the cream and 2 basil leaves and pulse until a smooth sauce consistency is obtained.
For the Herb Cheese and Pasta:
- Clean and mince the aromatic herbs.
- With a fork add herbs into a bowl with the cheese, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well.
- Peel the fresh tomatoes, take the seeds away, cut the tomatoes into small cubes and let them drain in a colander for 10 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- Drop the pasta into boiling salted water and cook it for around 10 minutes (follow exact timing on the box)
- Drain the pasta in a colander then stir in the pea sauce and serve a portion on each plate.
- Add 1 spoonful of herb cheese over the pasta for each plate.
- Add 1 spoonful of tomato cubes next to the herb cheese.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and a basil leaf as a garnish.
Torta di Mele di Primavera ~ Spring Apple Yogurt Cake
Very fresh taste, very light, very tasty but not heavy, perfect for the upcoming summer. –Courtesy of Chef Anna, Lombardy. Cooking With Anna On The Lakes Of Lombardy ~ 4 Day
Number of servings: 6
- 2 Eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Plain Yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Apples, cut in cubes
- 1 1/3 tbsps Baking Powder
- Grated lemon zest
- 3 1/2 tbsps. Butter, melted and cool
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover bottom and sides of cake pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk the yolks with the sugar and beat well.
- Add the yogurt, flour and chopped apples, baking powder, and grated lemons zest.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form then fold gently into the mixture.
- Gently fold in the melted butter.
- Bake for 50- 60 minutes depending on your oven.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve.