Join us in the hills of Emilia-Romagna and step into an exceptional kitchen with a team of Michelin Star Chefs and a leader in Italy’s food culture who hasn’t changed a thing since his family started the Trattoria in the early 1900s.
The Trattoria was opened way back then and remains an unassuming landmark in the hills. The simple cuisine, and the products from the courtyard, the chicken house, the green vegetable patch, and the fields and woods are the same today as they were back in the early days. These simple things are the soul of the Trattoria’s cooking. Over the years the passion has continued as our prized food maker, and third generation foodie, continues to turn out award-winning cuisine in the hills. We call it-Trattoria Chic.
Michelin Star Cooking In The Hills
Over the years, traditional recipes remain, innovative ones are added and everything remains simple, this is the rule of the kitchen here.
Step into the kitchen, because the Trattoria Chic program is for those who want to really take their cooking to a new level. Imagine spending the day with the a leader of the Slow Food movement- food purveyor and producer- and depending on the season, making naturally raised Coppa or sausage, from start to finish; cutting & salting, and seeing it off to the aging room. Again depending on the season, heading to the fields with the dogs, not just any dogs, prized & trained dogs that seek out the precious Truffles that are indigenous to the hills. And then, coming back to the kitchen with your goods and participating in a hands-on cooking class with our professional & amazing Chefs. This program, Trattoria Chic, gets you cooking with the best.
The Trattoria Chic cooking program is a soft balance between natural farmhouse and elegant food. Cooking with countryside soul, and keeping the essence and gastronomical roots is the method.
Seasonal means to follow nature with dishes that stay on the menu for only a few days a year and others that even stay for a few months. The most important thing is to use your ingredients at the best moment of their natural cycle. This ageless philosophy continues: respect nature’s rhythm and your food will have the best of nature’s flavor.
Seasonal spontaneity is practiced and inspiration for a menu can be created at the first sighting of seasonal peas or a baby chicken- at the market or from the garden. Seasonal produce is the main ingredient in all cooking at the Trattoria. Traditional Truffle Menus, the White Truffle menu and one other Seasonal Truffle Tasting menus are linked to the moment being monothematic or with different subjects.
Your accommodations are at the Locanda, located in this sleepy truffle town set in the hills. Just off the main Piazza, and a minute’s walk from the kitchen, the Locanda offers a welcoming atmosphere in five different rooms decked with a blend of old world and modern chic. Antiques, art, comfy linens and bedding along with a private luxe bath in each room blend for your comfort. There is TV, satellite radios, independent heating, internet connection, free Wi-Fi, books, magazines in each room. Sweeping windows open onto the quiet street below.
Our Trattoria Chic program also has a working food studio where foods are harvested with old world methods of making artisan products with a touch of modern technology. Seasonal ingredients from our farm and garden are prepared here. Porcini, slow-cooked tomatoes that are jarred for long winters, truffles in oil, dark green olive oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and local wine, too. The foods you will see and taste here represent the best of the Emilia-Romagna region.
Emilia-Romagna, from Bologna the capital to Parma and its Prosciutto, there is Modena’s coveted Aceto Balsamico to fast car Ferraris, the Apennine Mountains, high priced truffles, Parmigiano Reggiano, Porcini, tortellini and tortelloni. There is opera & theatre; Verdi & Pavarotti, all in the land of Emilia-Romagna.
And up in the hills of Emilia-Romagna we put you in touch with Nature’s bounties in all four seasons and with Michelin Star Chefs. Hands-on, natural, organic ingredients and simple food- served like it should be. Buon Appetito!
Itinerary ~4 Days, 3 Nights
January to May programs start Wednesday or Thursday. June to December programs start Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Program is not available August 15 to September 10.
Day 1: Welcome & Chef’s Seasonal Tasting Dinner
- Pick-up and transfer from Bologna Airport or Train Station to the property.
- Arrival & check-in. Refresh and relax in your room. Read over the contents of your Welcome Bag including helpful information that will acquaint you with the area, and go over your itinerary for your cooking program. Also included is your Chef’s apron and general information and notes on landmarks, and our “Hot Pick list.”
- Later in the evening, you will be served the full course Chef’s Seasonal Tasting Dinner at the Trattoria. Dine on a Michelin Star Chef’s Tasting Menu. (Wine, drinks, grappa and an assortment of after dinner digestives are not included, and are available at a surcharge).
Day 2: Parmigiano Tour, Truffle Hunt & Cooking Class 1
- Breakfast is served.
- In the morning, with your guide, take the country road as you visit the DOP Parmigiano Reggiano and see where sweet creamy milk goes from liquid to big wheels of gold. The method for making the prized Parmigiano can be traced back to the Monks in the marshland who were making it over 700 years ago. Although the process is quite lengthy and time-intense, you will see how the Master turns, polishes, & taps every piece of cheese, to insure it meets all the criteria for the official seal which gets branded around its rim. Tour & taste your way through.
- Next its on to the local farm to see where the prized pigs are raised to become Prosciutto, and other aged specialties of the area.
- Return in the early afternoon & lunch on your own.
- Later in the afternoon, head out for a truffle hunt with prized truffle dogs and their master Tartufaio, and see the skilled canines at their best. Though we cannot guarantee you will find truffles every time, the fun is in the hunt itself!
- Return to the kitchen for your hands-on Cooking Class 1 which includes preparing antipasto, pasta, main course and dessert. Traditional Dinner follows with the foods prepared during the class.
Day 3: Shop With The Chef/Guide, Food Studio & Cooking Class 2
- An early morning breakfast and then it is off to Shop With The Chef/Guide.
- Spend the early morning shopping for natural seasonal ingredients for the kitchen. Visit the local farmer to pick up the fresh vegetables of the day, or the water mill that has been working for over 400 years to select flour & potatoes.
- The rest of the morning is spent with the Trattoria’s food purveyor and Chef.
- Lunch on your own.
- In the afternoon, visit the Dispensa to see Alberto’s award-winning products such as vegetables in olive oil, special scented oils, wine or jams. Tastings included.
- Then, head to the kitchen and get cooking. We will use the ingredients that were rounded up in the morning tour. Your hands-on Cooking Class 2 includes preparing antipasto, pasta, main course and dessert. Traditional Dinner follows with the foods prepared during the class.
Day 4: Departure~
- Breakfast is served.
- Take a stroll through the sleepy town before checking out.
- Transfer to Bologna Airport or Train Station. Ciao & see you soon!
***Additional nights, may be added on, please call us for availability.
Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the program.
- 4 days, 3 nights accommodations, based on double occupancy.
- Daily breakfast.
- 2 cooking classes with dinner following on the foods prepared in class. Toast with a glass of local wine, additional beverages at a surcharge.
- Seasonal Tasting Menu dinner—on first night of arrival. Wine not included.
- Truffle Hunt, with guide & master tartufaio.
- Visit to Parmigiano Reggiano farm and producer with English-speaking guide. Discussion and tastings included.
- Shop With The Chef/Guide & Food Studio Tour, tastings included.
- Welcome Bags with Prosecco toast, aprons & itinerary.
- Arrival & Departure transfers from Bologna Airport or Train Station.
$2,595 per person, based on double occupancy.
Single Supplement: please call us for single pricing and we will do our best to fit you in with a group to ensure you receive the best possible single rate.