Tie on your aprons in the countryside of Bologna for hands-on cooking and a truffle hunt – a authentic artisan experience! Learn how to make fresh tortellini, tagliatelle, lasagne and the secrets of the perfect Bolognese sauce. After the cooking class, everyone enjoys the food that was prepared in the class paired with local wine of Emilia Romagna – think Pignoletto and Sangiovese!
Using farm-to-table vegetables and produce is the chef’s philosophy in our truffle cooking class Bologna experience. Discover local fruits, vegetables, prosciutto, Parmigiano Reggiano and aged balsamico. Discover the countryside filled with farmlands that produce olive oil and wine, and where country-raised chicken, cattle and pigs graze. Experience organic chestnuts, apples, pumpkin, spring peas, porcini mushrooms, and truffles. Trek the fields and forest with our Signor and truffle hunting dog in this Cooking Vacations’ once-in-a-life time experience.
Bologna Cooking Classes-Tortellini, Tagliatelle, Lasagne & the Perfect Bolognese
Truffles, Parmigiano Reggiano, aged aceto balsamico, balsamic, and artisan prosciutto are the highlights of this top culinary experience in the countryside of Bologna. You’ll visit small artisans and experience the process of how these foods are made and learn the food stories while enjoying samples along the way.
Tie on your aprons and head to the kitchen where you will take natural farm-to-table products and turn them into delicious local cuisine. Bologna, home of the Slow Food movement, is called, the Fat City thanks to its healthy hearty cooking style. Not only will you learn how to prepare locally sourced produce, but you will also learn cooking techniques, bread and dessert baking skills. You’ll learn about the local wine in the cooking classes and at your wine tour Bologna and tasting. Best of all, you’ll learn how to make tortellini, tagliatelle, lasagne and Bolognese sauce, along with artisan breads such as tigelle and piadina. Desserts are delicious with fresh basked chestnut tortellini, pumpkin semi-freddo drizzled with aged balsamico, and pinza, a local cake.
Meet Signor Luigi, our truffle hunter, and Spot, the truffle dog. Knowledgable and experienced, Signor Luigi leads you into the forest while Spot sniffs out the tubers, truffles. Together, they lead you to the forest on a search for black Scorzone or Marzuolo truffles, white truffles, or Bianchetto truffles. Spot is trained to sniff and find the best truffles!!!
Once you have dug up your truffle, head to the kitchen for your hands-on cooking class. Learn how to prepare truffles with homemade egg pasta such as tigelline or tagliatelle, hand-rolled potato gnocchi, and golden polenta. Second courses on the menu include seared sirloin with truffles, rabbit and wild green, farm-fresh eggs with truffle shavings or roasted port with truffle potatoes. Learn cooking techniques, including how to handle and shave a truffle. Dinner follows and includes the food that was prepared in the cooking class with local Emilia Romagna wine included.
Emilia Romagna Wine Tour Bologna
Discover the wine of Emilia Romagna – think Lambrusco, Sangiovese and Pignoletto – in our Bologna Wine Tour and tasting! The region grows six grape varieties that grow on the sun-beaten hillsides in the countryside and the fertile valleys close to the sea. The hilly countryside bring you to the Collie Bolognesi, where three red wines – Barbera, Merlot and Sauvignon, along with four white wines – Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Bianco, Riesling Italico and Chardonnay grow in rich soil vineyards. Parma and Piacenza produce: Malvasia di Candia and Sauvignon Blanc white varieties, and the Barbera and Bonarda red varieties. There’s also Albana and Sangiovese. In Modena and Reggio Emilia, there is Lambrusco and Terre del Lambrusco DOP. Join us on tour, sip and swirl while experiencing the interesting wines of Emilia Romagna.
Bologna – Luxury Guest House Accommodations
Check in and unwind in the hillside of Bologna at the stylish boutique guest house. The property is just off the main piazza, and a minute’s walk from the kitchen. Home to five unique rooms, each accommodation is decorated with Murano glass fixtures, modern accents, comfortable beds, and all the dreamy amenities to make your stay as cozy as possible. Antiques, art, fine linens and modern bedding along with a private ensuite bathroom make each accommodation complete. Each room is equipped with a TV, satellite radios, independent heating, internet connection, free Wi-Fi, books, and style magazines in each room. Sweeping windows open onto the quiet street below.
The Emilia-Romagna region spans from Bologna the capital, to Parma known for its Prosciutto, to Modena known for its Aceto Balsamico, Ferrari cars, and the Apennine Mountains. The land is rich and produces wheat, proscuitto, black and white truffles, Parmigiano Reggiano Bologna, porcini, and the prized balsamico Bologna. It is also known for its famous pasta including tortellini and tortelloni. And if its cuisine weren’t enough to lure you in, there is also ancient opera and theatre with Verdi and Pavarotti!
Itinerary ~4 Days, 3 Night
Day 1: Welcome & Chef’s Tasting Dinner with Wine Pairing
- Pick-up and transfer from Bologna Airport or Train Station to the property.
- Arrival and check-in. Relax and enjoy your Cooking Vacations’ welcome bag including your itinerary and Chef’s apron for your cooking program and a copy of Lauren’s cookbook, It’s A Dream Place – Stories and recipes of Food, L
- Later in the evening, you will enjoy a full course Welcome Dinner featuring a Chef’s Tasting menu with wine pairing included.
Day 2: Parmigiano Reggiano and Balsamico Tours & Traditional Dinner
- Breakfast is served.
- Discover the countryside of Bologna and visit a Parmigiano Reggiano artisan Learn the process of ancient cheese making – the Monks made this cheese over 700 years ago. On your guided tour, your English-speaking guide leads you through the cheese makers’ production area and where the cheese is aged. See how the artisans polish and tap each wheel of cheese ensuring it ages and meets the guidelines. See how each cheese wheel is stamped with the official seal. Tastings included on the tour.
- Following this tour, you will visit an artisan balsamic maker. Learn about the importance of balsamic in Emilia Romagna cooking and of it in noblemen. Visit the palazzo and production area of this noble family. Tastings included on the tour.
- Next, visit a famous winery. Tour the vineyard and cantina with lunch included.
- Following tour, return to the property.
- In the evening, enjoy a Traditional full course dinner featuring local fare with wine included at the property.
Day 3: Truffle Hunt & Cooking Class
- Breakfast included.
- Following breakfast, tie on your aprons and join us in the kitchen for your hands-on cooking class which includes the preparation of an antipasto, fresh pasta and sauce, main course and dessert. Lunch follows and includes the food that was prepared in the cooking class with wine included.
- Later in the afternoon, join Signor Luigi, an award-winning truffle hunter and his truffle dog, and trek through the forest and field learning and hunting for truffles.
- Following the truffle hunt, return to the property.
- Dinner is on your own. You can opt to dine at the property’s restaurant.
Day 4: Departure~
- Breakfast is served.
- Check out.
- Transfer to Bologna Airport or Train Station. Ciao & see you soon!
***Additional nights, may be added on, please let us know and we will create a tailor made tour.
Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the program.
- 4 days, 3 nights accommodations, based on double occupancy.
- 1 Cooking classes preparing a traditional menu with dinner following including the food that was prepared in class with wine included.
- 1 Welcome Dinner featuring a Chef’s Tasting Menu featuring a full course local fare and wine pairing.
- 1 Traditional Dinner featuring a full course menu of local fare with wine included.
- Truffle Hunt with certified truffle hunter and dog in the forest and fields.
- Excursion to a Parmigiano Reggiano farm and producer with English-speaking guide. Discussion and tastings included.
- Excursion to an artisan Balsamic maker with tour and tastings included.
- Wine tour with tour of the vineyard, cantina and lunch included.
- Arrival and departure transfers from Bologna Airport or Train Station.
- Cooking Vacations welcome bag with chef’s apron and Prosecco toast.
- A copy of Lauren’s cookbook, “It’s A Dream Place – Stories & Recipes of Food, Love and the Amalfi Coast”
$2,895 per person, based on two guests
For Single Guests: If you are traveling on your own, please call us for the best group price. We are happy to welcome you into an already scheduled group. Prices vary during holidays.