Tie on your aprons in the countryside of Bologna for hands-on cooking classes with truffles and a truffle hunt – a unique and delicious experience! Learn how to make fresh tortellini, tagliatelle, lasagne and the secrets of the perfect Bolognese sauce. After each cooking class, everyone enjoys the food that was prepared in the cooking class paired with local wine of Emilia Romagna – think Pignoletto and Sangiovese!
Using farm-to-table vegetables and produce is the chef’s philosophy in our truffle cooking class Bologna experience. Discover local fruits, vegetables, prosciutto, Parmigiano Reggiano Bologna, aged aceto balsamico Bologna (aged vinegar) from the farmlands of this rich agricultural region just thirty minutes in the countryside of Bologna. Explore the area to see country-raised chicken, cattle and pigs – grazing in the hillsides. Experience organic chestnuts, apples, pumpkin, spring peas, porcini mushrooms, and truffles!!! And best of all, meet Spot, our trusted truffle hunting dog who always finds the truffles! This truffle and hunting Cooking Vacations is a once-in-a-life time experience.
Bologna Cooking Classes-Tortellini, Tagliatelle, Lasagne & the Perfect Bolognese
Truffles, Parmigiano Reggiano, aged aceto balsamico (aged vinegar) and artisan prosciutto are the highlights of this top culinary experience in the countryside of Bologna. You’ll visit small artisans and experience the process of how these foods are made and learn the food stories while enjoying samples along the way.
Tie on your aprons and head to the kitchen where you will take natural farm-to-table products and turn them into delicious local cuisine. Bologna, home of the Slow Food movement, is called, the Fat City thanks to its healthy hearty cooking style. Not only will you learn how to prepare locally sourced produce, but you will also learn cooking techniques, bread and dessert baking skills. You’ll learn about the local wine in the cooking classes and at your wine tour Bologna and tasting. Best of all, you’ll learn how to make tortellini, tagliatelle, lasagne and Bolognese sauce, along with artisan breads such as tigelle and piadina. Desserts are delicious with fresh basked chestnut tortellini, pumpkin semi-freddo drizzled with aged balsamico, and pinza, a local cake.
Meet Signor Luigi, our truffle hunter, and Spot, the truffle dog. Knowledgable and experienced, Signor Luigi leads you into the forest while Spot sniffs out the tubers, truffles. Together, they lead you to the forest on a search for black Scorzone or Marzuolo truffles, white truffles, or Bianchetto truffles. Spot is trained to sniff and find the best truffles!!!
Once you have dug up your truffle, head to the kitchen for your hands-on cooking class. Learn how to prepare truffles with homemade egg pasta such as tigelline or tagliatelle, hand-rolled potato gnocchi, and golden polenta. Second courses on the menu include seared sirloin with truffles, rabbit and wild green, farm-fresh eggs with truffle shavings or roasted port with truffle potatoes. Learn cooking techniques, including how to handle and shave a truffle. Dinner follows and includes the food that was prepared in the cooking class with local Emilia Romagna wine included.
Wine Tour Bologna
Discover the wine of Emilia Romagna – think Lambrusco, Sangiovese and Pignoletto – in our Bologna Wine Tour and tasting! The region grows six grape varieties that grow on the sun-beaten hillsides in the countryside and the fertile valleys close to the sea. The hilly countryside bring you to the Collie Bolognesi, where three red wines – Barbera, Merlot and Sauvignon, along with four white wines – Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Bianco, Riesling Italico and Chardonnay grow in rich soil vineyards. Parma and Piacenza produce: Malvasia di Candia and Sauvignon Blanc white varieties, and the Barbera and Bonarda red varieties. There’s also Albana and Sangiovese. In Modena and Reggio Emilia, there is Lambrusco and Terre del Lambrusco DOP. Join us on tour, sip and swirl while experiencing the interesting wines of Emilia Romagna.
Bologna – Luxury Guest House Accommodations
Check in and unwind in the hillside of Bologna at the stylish boutique guest house. The property is just off the main piazza, and a minute’s walk from the kitchen. Home to five unique rooms, each accommodation is decorated with Murano glass fixtures, modern accents, comfortable beds, and all the dreamy amenities to make your stay as cozy as possible. Antiques, art, fine linens and modern bedding along with a private ensuite bathroom make each accommodation complete. Each room is equipped with a TV, satellite radios, independent heating, internet connection, free Wi-Fi, books, and style magazines in each room. Sweeping windows open onto the quiet street below.
The Emilia-Romagna region spans from Bologna the capital, to Parma known for its Prosciutto, to Modena known for its Aceto Balsamico, Ferrari cars, and the Apennine Mountains. The land is rich and produces wheat, proscuitto, black and white truffles, Parmigiano Reggiano Bologna, porcini, and the prized balsamico Bologna. It is also known for its famous pasta including tortellini and tortelloni. And if its cuisine weren’t enough to lure you in, there is also ancient opera and theatre with Verdi and Pavarotti!
Itinerary ~4 Days, 3 Nightt
Day 1: Welcome & Chef’s Full Course Tasting Dinner With A Three-Tier Wine Tasting
- Pick-up and transfer from Bologna Airport or Train Station to the property.
- Arrival and check-in. Relax and enjoy your Welcome Bag including your itinerary and Chef’s apron for your cooking program.
- Later in the evening, you will enjoy a full course Welcome Dinner featuring a Chef’s Tasting menu featuring local fare with a three-tier level wine tasting.
Day 2: Parmigiano Tour, Truffle Hunt & Cooking Class 1
- Breakfast is served.
- In the morning, with your guide, take the country road as you visit the DOP Parmigiano Reggiano and see where sweet creamy milk magically be turned from liquid into big wheels of cheese. The method for making the prized Parmigiano can be traced back to the Monks in the marshland who were making it over 700 years ago. Although the process is quite lengthy and time-intense, you will see how the cheese artisan, often called a Master, turns, polishes, & taps every piece of cheese, to insure it meets all the criteria for the official seal which gets branded around its rim. Tour & tastings included.
- Next, we continue on to visit a prized aged balsamic maker with a tour and tastings included.
- Take time to have lunch on your own.
- In the afternoon, join Signor Luigi, truffle hunger, with Spot, our truffle dog and experience a truffle hunt in heart of the forest.
- Return to the kitchen for your hands-on cooking class where you will prepare an antipasto, pasta and fresh sauce, main course and dessert. Dinner follows and includes the food that was prepared in the cooking class with wine included.
Day 3: Food Lover’s Tour, Tour Winery & Cantina With Wine Tasting & Cooking Class
- Breakfast included. Food Lover’s tour discovering the cuisine of Emilia Romagna. Visit to the artisan purveyors and vineyard, winery and cantina in our Wine Tour Bologna with tastings.
- After your Food Lover’s Tour, your driver takes throughout the hillside of Bologna to an artisan ricotta farm. Following your tour, continue on to a precious vineyard and winery. Enjoy an authentic wine tasting with light bites.
- Later in the afternoon, with your driver will return to the property for your cooking class.
- Return to the kitchen for your hands-on cooking class which includes the preparation of an antipasto, fresh pasta and sauce, main course and dessert. Dinner follows and includes the food that was prepared in the cooking class with wine included.
Day 4: Departure~
- Breakfast is served.
- Check out.
- Transfer to Bologna Airport or Train Station. Ciao & see you soon!
***Additional nights, may be added on, please let us know and we will create a tailor made tour.
Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the program.
- 4 days, 3 nights accommodations, based on double occupancy.
- 2 cooking classes with dinner following on the foods prepared in class. Toast with a glass of local wine; additional beverages at a surcharge.
- Welcome Dinner featuring a Chef’s Tasting Menu featuring a full course local fare with a three-tier wine tasting included.
- Truffle Hunt with certified truffle hunter and dog in the forest.
- Visit to Parmigiano Reggiano farm and producer with English-speaking guide. Discussion and tastings included.
- Food Lover’s Tour with tastings.
- Visit to a vineyard, winery and cantina with wine tasting and food tastings included.
- Arrival and departure transfers from Bologna Airport or Train Station.
- Cooking Vacations welcome bag with chef’s apron and Prosecco toast.
$2,895 per person, based on two guests
For Single Guests: If you are traveling on your own, please call us for the best group price. We are happy to welcome you into an already scheduled group.