Tie on your aprons in the countryside of Bologna for hands-on cooking classes with truffles and a truffle hunt – a unique and delicious experience! Learn how to make fresh tortellini, tagliatelle, lasagne and the secrets of the perfect Bolognese sauce. After each cooking class, everyone enjoys the food that was prepared in the cooking class paired with local wine of Emilia Romagna – think Pignoletto and Sangiovese!
Using farm-to-table vegetables and produce is the chef’s philosophy in our truffle cooking class Bologna experience. Discover local fruits, vegetables, prosciutto, Parmigiano Reggiano Bologna, aged aceto balsamico Bologna (aged vinegar) from the farmlands of this rich agricultural region just thirty minutes in the countryside of Bologna. Explore the area to see country-raised chicken, cattle and pigs – grazing in the hillsides. Experience organic chestnuts, apples, pumpkin, spring peas, porcini mushrooms, and truffles!!! And best of all, meet Spot, our trusted truffle hunting dog who always finds the truffles! This truffle and hunting Cooking Vacations is a once-in-a-life time experience.
Truffles, Parmigiano Reggiano, aged aceto balsamico (aged vinegar) and artisan prosciutto are the highlights of this top culinary experience in the countryside of Bologna. You’ll visit small artisans and experience the process of how these foods are made and learn the food stories while enjoying samples along the way.
Tie on your aprons and head to the kitchen where you will take natural farm-to-table products and turn them into delicious local cuisine. Bologna, home of the Slow Food movement, is called, the Fat City thanks to its healthy hearty cooking style. Not only will you learn how to prepare locally sourced produce, but you will also learn cooking techniques, bread and dessert baking skills. You’ll learn about the local wine in the cooking classes and at your wine tour Bologna and tasting. Best of all, you’ll learn how to make tortellini, tagliatelle, lasagne and Bolognese sauce, along with artisan breads such as tigelle and piadina. Desserts are delicious with fresh basked chestnut tortellini, pumpkin semi-freddo drizzled with aged balsamico, and pinza, a local cake.
Meet Signor Luigi, our truffle hunter, and Spot, the truffle dog. Knowledgable and experienced, Signor Luigi leads you into the forest while Spot sniffs out the tubers, truffles. Together, they lead you to the forest on a search for black Scorzone or Marzuolo truffles, white truffles, or Bianchetto truffles. Spot is trained to sniff and find the best truffles!!!
Once you have dug up your truffle, head to the kitchen for your hands-on cooking class. Learn how to prepare truffles with homemade egg pasta such as tigelline or tagliatelle, hand-rolled potato gnocchi, and golden polenta. Second courses on the menu include seared sirloin with truffles, rabbit and wild green, farm-fresh eggs with truffle shavings or roasted port with truffle potatoes. Learn cooking techniques, including how to handle and shave a truffle. Dinner follows and includes the food that was prepared in the cooking class with local Emilia Romagna wine included.
Truffle Hunt, Cooking Class, Aperitivo & Truffle Dinner
- Start your afternoon at 2:30pm with a truffle hunt with our expert dog and truffle hunter.
- Return to the kitchen at about 4:30pm for a hands-on cooking class learning about truffle and its use in the kitchen.
- Your hands-on cooking class includes the preparation of an antipasto, pasta, main course and dessert.
- Enjoy an aperitivo after class, Bologna wine, followed by about an hour of free time to relax or stroll through town before dinner.
- Dinner follows and includes the food that was prepared in the cooking class – featuring a full regional fare – with Emilia Romagna wine included.
$795 per person, based on two guests.
Experience includes truffle hunt with truffle hunter and dog, a truffle hands-on cooking class, aperitivo, full course dinner. Round trip private transfers from your hotel in Bologna to the countryside.
* Please note, in the spring the White Truffles are not available however there is the possibility of finding black truffles: Scorzone and Marzuolo based on the season.
* One-day cooking classes do not include additional transportation, hotel accommodations, or any other excursions.