Join us in Rome’s countryside with your Signor Carlo and Chef Stella for authentic hands-on cooking classes and scenic tours. This village was home to my great grandfather, Costanzo, who left Italy and sailed to New York for a new life. My family continues cooking and welcoming guests in this beautiful village filled with artisan products, farm-to-table produce, and home made extra virgin olive oil and wine.
Tie on your apron and join us in the kitchen to learn about the delicious local cuisine and our family traditions. Set in the heart of the Ciociaria region, this charming Medieval town is known for Marzolina, a special cheese made only in March because that is when the cows graze on the spring green grass. Enjoy the most precious porcini mushrooms, artisan salami, brick oven made bread and delicious products made right here.
The quaint village overlooks miles of majestic green hills and mountains – with the Roman boarder to its left and the hills of Monte Cassino to its right. The village is home to a 10th century castle, an ancient church to the patron saint, San Antonino, a stone tower to protect against invaders and wild olive trees. There are endless cobblestone streets – no cars allowed – and a never-ending sense of peace.
The village lies in the breast of the Aurunci Mountains, next to Abbeys of Montecassino, Casamari, and near the grottos of Pastena, making it a convenient location for trekking, hiking and visiting nearby Sperlonga and Gaeta. Just one hour south of Rome and one hour north of Naples, makes this village a perfect destination to see the nearby areas. Enjoy history, art, culture and delicious food and wine in this unforgettable cooking adventure in Rome’s beautiful countryside with our family!!!
Signor Carlo and Chef Stella welcome you to the kitchen where you will prepare four hands-on cooking classes during your stay using seasonal local products from the local garden and purveyors – my family even owns a butcher shop. In each cooking class, you will use seasonal and local products, while learning tricks of the kitchen and techniques. Learn how to prepare antipasto, pasta or risotto, main courses and desserts. Signor Carlo and Chef Stella lead you through the preparation, slicing, dicing, baking and cooking – turning local ingredients into delicious lunches and dinners. Learn how to make hearty soups, fresh pastas- gnocchi and ravioli, vegetables, fish, meat, vegetarian alternatives and desserts! Wine is included at each cooking class.
Recipes include: Eggplant bites, stuffed eggplant, and zucchini with Mozzarella. Fresh pasta is endless – with classics such as mezze maniche tossed with eggplant, olives, cherry tomatoes, or gnocchi and porcini mushrooms. Main courses such as: veal involtini with carrot velouté, fish with tomato and basil or grilled and stuffed chicken with cheese and herbs. Desserts are endless, but we’ll name a few: almond biscotti, apple cake and tarts made with a selection of homemade preserves or semi-freddo, a creamy ice cream cake. Everyone enjoys the foods made together in the cooking class with local wine included.
Rome Countryside Accommodations
Set on a cobblestone footpath, the property dates back to the 11th century and has been refurbished respecting the original architecture with all of the modern comforts to make your stay perfect. Step in to this cozy palazzo that is elegantly decorated with country antiques and art. Each room has been decorated blending comfortable beds with beautiful bedding and decorated with a collection of art from Signor Carlo. Old Word treasures such as original tile floors, wood beam ceilings add a country touch giving a feeling of times past. Each bedroom has its own ensuite private bath. Breakfast is served daily and includes breads, cakes, eggs and jams hand made in the kitchen along with coffee, tea, juices, fresh fruit and yogurt. Conveniently located close to the piazza, after breakfast, you can step out onto the worn cobblestones of bygones past and wander through this beautiful hillside town.
Tour To The Ancient Villages of Gaeta, Sperlonga, Veroli & Aprino
The village’s Medieval past can be seen in its ancient towers, castle, churches and archways. Nearby villages include: Arpino, the motherland of the great orator Cicero; the Medieval village of Veroli, famous for its street artists and artisans; and Boville with its precious Giotto mosaics. Also in this are are beautiful monasteries including Monte Cassino. This region called Lazio, is set in the National Park of Monte Aurunci, making day trips to the seaside towns of Gaeta and Sperlonga, and Collepardo, Arpino, Anangi very easy.
Itinerary: 6 Days, 5 Nights
Day 1: Arrival & Cooking Class 1
• Morning – arrive at the property.
• Enjoy a welcome cocktail. Meet Signor Carlo as he introduces you to the village and your cooking program.
• Lunch at the property with an introduction to local products. Additional wines and beverages at a surcharge.
• Walking Tour of the village: including a visit through the Medieval village, to the Farnese Castle, the churches, along with a brief history of the village during World War II. Also, food notes on the local cuisine.
• Later afternoon: Tie on your apron for cooking class 1. You will prepare a full course traditional menu. Dinner follows and everyone joins enjoys the food made in the cooking class. A toast of wine included. Extra wine available at a surcharge.
Day 2: Visit to Veroli, Casamari, Isola del Liri and Arpino ~ Cooking Class 2.
• Breakfast is served
• After breakfast and with your driver, depart for a tour to Veroli. Visit the town and historic center.
• Transfer to Isola del Liri to visit the town and its waterfalls.
• Lunch at a trattoria in Isola del Liri, wine not included and available at a surcharge.
• After lunch, visit Arpino and then return to the property.
• Tie on your apron and get ready for your cooking class 2. Dinner follows and everyone enjoys the foods that were made in the cooking class together.
Day 3: Anagni, Piglio, Lago di Canterno, Fumone: Wine Tour
• Breakfast is served.
• After breakfast, depart for Anagni where you’ll visit the town’s Cathedral, its crypt and the historic center.
• Transfer to Piglio for the Wine Tour. Enjoy a tasting of traditional local wines served with delicious local products.
• Continue on to Lago di Canterno and Fumone to visit the castle.
• Return to in the evening for your cooking class.
• Dinner is included at the property. Enjoy a special menu featuring traditional and local products- with local wine pairings, cheeses, salumi, and extra virgin olive oil.
Day 4: Montecassino, Archeological District of Casinum, Grotte Di Pastena; Cooking Class 3
• Breakfast is served.
• After breakfast and with your driver, depart for Monte Cassino where you will visit the famous Abbey and archeological site. After your morning tour, we stop for traditional lunch with wine and water included.
• Continue on to Pastena with its natural caves – first discovered in 1926 by Carlo Franchetti. The caves are part of the consorzio Grotte Pastena e Collepardo.
• Return to the village. Tie on your apron for cooking class 3. Dinner follows and everyone dines on the foods prepared in the cooking class. A toast of wine is included. Additional wine is available at a surcharge.
Day 5: Gaeta, Sperlonga, Grotta di Tiberio and Museo Romano; Cooking Class 4
• Breakfast is served.
• After breakfast and with your driver, depart for Gaeta to visit the town’s historic center. Gaeta is a beautiful seaside town set on the Torre di Orlando, a promontory overlooking the Mediterranean – known for its seafood and delicious cuisine.
• Lunch is included in a trattoria in the Gaeta.
• Following lunch, the tour continues to the town of Sperlonga. In Sperlonga, visit the the piazza, or Roman Museum and Tiberius’ Cave.
• Following your tour, return to the property for cooking class 4. Following the cooking class, everyone enjoys the foods that were prepared in the class. A toast of wine included. Extra wine available at a surcharge.
Day 6: Check Out & Arrivederci!
• Breakfast is served.
• Check out.
• Arrivederci e a presto!
Note: This sample itinerary schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saints days; festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the week.
- 6 days, 5 nights accommodations in a charming room with private en-suite bath, based on two guests.
- Daily breakfast and maid service.
- Lunch at the property on your first day.
- Walking Tour of Pico: the Medieval village, the Farnese Castle, the churches and piazza.
- 4 lunches in traditional trattorias with wine and beverages not included.
- 4 cooking classes with lunch or dinner following on the foods prepared in class. Wine available at a surcharge.
- 1 Dinner at the property with local products and typical products with wine tasting included. Additional wines and beverages at a surcharge.
- Excursion to Veroli, Casamari, Isola del Liri and Arpino, English speaking guide included.
- Excursion to Anagni, Piglio, Lago di Canterno and Fumone with English speaking guide; wine tasting and sample of local products included.
- Excursion to Montecassino, Archeological Area of Casinum, Grotte di Pastena, English speaking guide included.
- Excursion to Terracina, Sperlonga, Grotta di Tiberio and Roman Museum with English speaking guide, lunch included. Reserved entrance to sites and monuments, entrance tickets not included and payable at the door.*
- Round trip transfers from Isoletta or Sperlonga train station to property.
- Cooking Vacations welcome bag with Chef’s apron and Prosecco toast.
$3,395 per person, based on two guests.
For Single Guests: If you are traveling on your own, please call us for the best group price. We are happy to welcome you into an already scheduled group.
Transfer from Rome center or Rome Fuimicino Airport to the property are available, upon request.