Join Chef Salvatore, along with Signore Lucia and Anna in our Cooking On Capri tour. Chef Salvatore leads in hands-on cooking in his Mediterranean kitchen creating healthy cuisine prepared with seasonal products and garden fresh produce. Tradition is key in the kitchen as you will prepare such favorites as zucchini flowers stuffed with ricotta, hand made ravioli, grilled fish and chocolate Caprese!
Tie on your apron and get ready to cook healthy Mediterranean foods, while experiencing everything that Capri has to offer. From artisan shops selling hand-made sandals to summer music concerts under the stars, lively street festivals showcasing artisan foods, churches adorned with ancient artwork, chic shopping, natural flower walks along the sea to sipping a café in the piazza, these are just a few of Capri’s precious attractions.
Capri Cooking Classes
Chef Salvatore leads you through Neapolitan traditions with menus that change with the seasons. You will roll out ravioli capresi, prepare pesce al limone, torta caprese, and limoncello in an authentic hands-on experience featuring the cuisine and splendor of Capri. Special menu requests like gluten free or vegetarian are available.
Salvatore starts out each day with a visit to his garden where he picks fresh fruits and vegetables. Signor Paolo the local fisherman brings his treasures from the sea each day, frattello Domenico produces naturally raised meats on the family’s farm, while the oven is hot baking island favorite desserts like delizia, torta and limone Caprese.
In each cooking class you will prepare an appetizer, pasta or ravioli or risotto, main course and dessert. Following the cooking class, everyone enjoys the foods that were prepared in class at the family table. Toast with a glass of wine, and end with a sweet Capri dessert!
“I don’t measure, I use my eyes, except in dessert making where precision is important,” he tells in a Neapolitan dialect. At sunrise he is out in the garden picking fresh mint, rosemary and giant yellow zucchini flowers. His Mediterranean garden is flowering with spring peas to poppies, summer roses and lavender, zucchini and eggplant, black cherries, oranges and lemons. “What’s in our garden is on our table,” he explains.
Capri the magical island located in the Bay of Naples, 20 minutes from Positano and Sorrento, has attracted Italy’s kings and queens over the centuries and is a favorite spot with the modern jet-set. Tour Tiberius’ villas, the Blue Grotto, Anacapri’s Villa San Michele, the Certosa, and many shops, galleries and natural flower walks on the island. This Mediterranean island that has mystified the world’s great artists, writers and poets, continues to attract visitors from around the globe. Its diverse landscape, including jutting cliffs that rise from the sea, to the chic shopping area with international boutiques, to the laid back hills of Anacapri, has this magical island offering a little something for everyone.
Capri’s famous Blue Grotto is often called the “Eighth Wonder of the World.” The Blue Grotto has a special cavern entrance where the sunlight reflects through the water in the cave, tingeing it a dramatic Mediterranean cerulean shade of blue. Capri is Italy’s most popular and glamorous seaside island and is just twenty minutes away from Positano or Sorrento. Piazza Umberto, known as la piazzetta, is perched high above the sea and offers a panoramic view of the Bay of Naples. During the week, you will tour the island visiting hidden treasures, secret addresses and Anacapri-the highest point on the island. Capri, the magical island, named after the wild capre, mountain goats, who perch atop its jutting cliffs, offers a vast contrast between the jet set and untouched nature at its best.
Capri In Bloom
Capri’s flowers and aromatic herbs have been used for centuries to make perfumes and flavors for the kitchen. While on the island, we suggest a self-guided Flower Walk, to see the island in bloom. Capri’s famous perfumes were made from the many varieties of wild flowers, plants and herbs that perfume the island itself. Start in the square, Piazza Vittoria in Anacapri and head toward the Villa San Michele, turning right up Via Monte Solaro before you reach the villa. Pass the scented pines as you ascend up the path toward Monte Cappello arriving at an iron cross. The flowers along the way include ginestra, a thistle type bright colored bloom called Spanish or Weaver’s Broom. You also see orchids of magenta and wild pinks and yellow, pink and violet daisies sprouting along the way. At the cross, bear left to continue up to Monte Santa Maria A. Cetrella, a small church built in the 14th century which was the sanctuary of seamen who visited to pray before setting out for months at sea to fish or collect the red Mediterranean coral. From the church descend again to the iron cross and turn left to follow a different path back to the center of Anacapri. This walk takes about 2 hours, plus time to enjoy the beauty and fragrances of the natural flowers and trees.
Choose from a garden from paradise B&B or 4-Star accommodations. The villa style 4-star hotel is set on the quiet side of Marina Piccola and is a real home away from home. The professional, well-appointed staff, along with Signore Norberto are at your service with VIP treatment during your stay. Large classic bedrooms in white with private en-suite bathroom, ample balconies spilling out onto the sea view or garden view, air conditioning, mini bar, satellite TV, complimentary wi-fi internet, swimming pool and outside café, are just a few of the amenities and services.
Modern renovations respecting the classic Mediterranean architecture-with the typical Capri atmosphere, columns, arches and vaults create a magical atmosphere. A full buffet breakfast is served including cappuccino, espresso, Italian homemade cornettos, cakes, Capri cake, and breads made by the Executive Chef, fruits, cheeses & hams, yogurts, eggs any style and more. A relaxing swimming pool with an outside café serves fresh summer lunches, salads, pasta, panini, drinks, caffè, wine and snacks set in the garden pool area, overlooking Marina Piccola Bay. A perfect location for relaxation during your stay.
Our second accommodation is our family owned B&B nestled in the gardens of Anacapri just steps off the Piazza Vittoria. Signore Franco and his wife Rosa are your hosts in this gorgeous property overlooking the sea. Private en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning and daily breakfast are included. Signora Rosa prepares homemade cakes, bread, yogurts and fresh fruits from the garden and you are served outside on the terrace. The B&B is the perfect way to experience a relaxed homey atmosphere under the care of Signor Franco. His garden is filled with lavender, rosemary, chamomile, roses, sunflowers, lemon and olive trees and palm trees. Spend time soaking up the sun on the terrace surrounded by the fuchsia flowers and fragrant roses, or take a stroll through vegetable garden. As the sun sets, sip your Prosecco and watch it set over Ischia!
Itinerary: 5 days, 4 nights
Day 1: Benvenuti & Welcome Dinner
- Welcome to Capri. Check in and relax.
- Chef’s Welcome Dinner, including a traditional full course sampling menu including, antipasto, pasta, main and dessert. Sample typical Caprese foods such as Insalata di Mare, grilled octopus and squid served marinated in lemon juice and spices, ravioli capresi, handmade pasta rolled and stuffed with fresh goat’s cheese straight from the rocky hills of the island, Pezzogna all’acqua Pazza, local white fish in ‘crazy water’ with chili pepper, wine and a handful of ripe cherry tomatoes, and desserts such as the famous Caprese cake, a dense flourless almond-chocolate cake dusted with powdered sugar, pastiera, a spring cake made with fresh ricotta cheese, and Torta al Limone, a lemon-almond cake perfect with the sweet and strong lemon liquor, limoncello.
Day 2: Island Tour By Land & Cooking Class 1
- Breakfast is served.
- Meet your driver for a full morning Island Tour in one of Capri’s famous canopy-covered convertibles. Your driver will take you to the gems of the Island of Capri along with the secret addresses unknown to tourists. Learn the story of the Madonna in the cliff, peeking out of a cliff-side grotto, she is said to protect the fisherman and bring them safely home to Capri. Peek at the winding Phoenician stairs that lead from the port to the highest parts of the island. Learn the myths and truths of Emperor Tiberius’ lavish parties and his 12 imperial villas that once stood ruling the island, and learn about Capri’s importance as it was home to famous writers from around the world. See where Axel Munthe, Norman Douglas, Paolo Neruda, Oscar Wilde and the likes lived and wrote their most famous works.
- You will have time to explore during the tour and lunch is on your own.
- In the afternoon get cooking in our hands-on Cooking Class 1. Start by using the freshest fruits and vegetables from Salvatore’s garden and begin creating your complete 4-course dinner. Depending on the season, your ingredients will include, fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden and the daily catch (meat and vegetarian items always available too). Learn the trick to simple and delicious cooking, focusing on the quality of the ingredients and natural flavors. We begin with an appetizer such as the fresh cherry tomato, Bruschetta on toasted bread then knead, roll, cut and shape your own fresh pasta. Create local recipes with Pezzogna, Orata and other local Mediterranean fish or sauté jumbo shrimp in a pan to bring out their natural sweet flavors for your second course. Melt fondente, dark chocolate and learn how to create the Caprese cake and enjoy your entire meal with a chilled crisp Capri wine.
- Dinner follows on the foods prepared on class. Local wine, water, dessert and coffee included.
Day 3: Food Lover’s Tour & Cooking Class 2
- Breakfast is served.
- In the morning, meet Annarita our professional, local guide for the Food Lover’s Tour and begin your in-depth tour that will introduce you to local shopkeepers and artisans who make homemade sfogliatelle, pizza fritta, arancini, torte di limone, taralli, calzoni, breads, salumi, cheese, pasta, the Caprese-Capri cake, and the local wine of the Island. Learn about the historical foods, how they are prepared, and their importance in the Mediterranean diet. You’ll tour and taste your way through small streets lined with typical shops and passionate Italians that keep food traditions alive. Tastings included.
- You can also add on a landmark tour with Annarita and learn about Capri and Anacapri. Choose from Villa Jovis and Via Krupp, the Phoenician Stairs, to the small enchanting streets of Anacapri, and continue through the alleyways of Anacapri, where you will discover Chiesa San Michele. The mosaic floor of this tiny chapel depicts Paradise on Earth: The Expulsion of Adam and Eve, painted by Leonardo Chiaese in 1761. Mythical creatures roam the floor that can be viewed from a boardwalk around the edge of the chapel or from the second level, reachable by a spiral staircase.
- Enjoy lunch on your own in Anacapri. Suggestion: Materita, in the quiet piazza overlooking the church Santa Sofia.
- In the afternoon, head into the kitchen with Chef Salvatore for your Cooking Class 2. Collect what you need from the garden and it’s off to the kitchen for delicious alici marinate, marinated anchovies typical of the island to start. Take out the peperoncino, chili pepper and make dishes such as linguine con le cozze, linguini with mussels, and save the rest of the mussels for your second course of steamed mussels with lemon and taste the world of difference in the various ways of cooking these mysterious shellfish. Menus vary based on seasonal availability and to accommodate food allergies and dietary needs. Finish your class with a traditional fresh dessert such as fragoline con panna, wild strawberries with fresh whipped cream or a seasonal crostata di frutta, fruit tart.
- Dinner follows and everyone enjoys the foods prepared in class. Wine, water, dessert and coffee included.
Day 4: Capri By Sea & Cooking Class 3
- Breakfast is served.
- Enjoy a morning Boat Tour with our captain who will take you on a seafaring tour of the island of Capri. Sail slowly around the island admiring the jagged and varied coastline with stops for a dip in the salty sea. Learn the history of the island and the evidence in its shores from the Faraglioni to Punta Carena, the Blue Grotto to Marina Piccola. Weather and tides permitting, visit the Grotta Azzurra, the Blue Grotto where you may swim in or slip though the small opening in a rowboat with a singing boatman. The glistening blue inside the grotto is unparalleled in beauty, fit for royalty, hence its nickname as Emperor Tiberius’ swimming pool. Entrance ticket to the Blue Grotto not included.
- Lunch on your own.
- In the afternoon, tie on your aprons and put on your chef’s hat for your Cooking Class 3. Your third class focuses on pizza-making from kneading, to rolling, then selecting Mozzarella cheese and traditional toppings like olives, eggplant, ham, capers. Next our chef will show you how to bake to perfection.
- After class, dinner is served on the foods prepared in class and everyone enjoys the fruits of their labor with wine, dessert and coffee following.
Day 5: Arrivederci Capri!
- Breakfast is served.
- Check out and departure. Arrivederci!
- 5 days, 4 nights accommodation in either 4-Star or B&B accommodations, based on double occupancy. Click To View!
- Daily breakfast.
- Chef’s Tasting Dinner on first night of arrival.
- 3 cooking classes followed by lunch or dinner, wine, water, dessert and coffee included.
- Guided Food Lover’s Tour with tastings.
- Island land tour with private driver, including stop for lunch. (Lunch not included).
- Boat excursion touring the Island with stop at the Blue Grotto (entrance tickets to Grotto not included).
- Welcome bag with chef’s apron, island information, and Cooking Vacations’ Restaurant Hot Picks List, along with Prosecco.
- * Wi-Fi internet connection available.
$2,695 per person, based on double occupancy (no sea view). Italian VAT included.
Please call for Single Supplement or supplement for sea view.
$1,995 per person, based on double occupancy. All taxes and VAT included.
$2,595 per person, based on single occupancy. All taxes and VAT included.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out.
2019 Dates: This program is available April to October. Check in and start your program on any day of the week. Rates are subject to change based on currency exchange. Call for updated rates. Airfare not included. Group transfers for any cooking tour or tours that include transfers, are for the group and are not private. Transfers before, after or to another destination outside of your cooking tour are not included in the program price. If you would like to add on a private transfer or transfers, let us know and we will send you pricing.