Join chef and food lover Lorena at her centrally located B&B in Florence for a fun and educational 4-day cooking experience.
The cooking classes bring you into the Florentine kitchen with Chef Lorena. Step into her kitchen and learn how to create authentic Florentine foods and Italian classics, while participating in hands-on cooking and discovering new techniques for each recipe. The hands-on cooking classes include preparing antipasto, pasta, fish or meat dish, and delicious desserts. Chef Lorena will lead you through each step using only fresh in-season organic vegetables that she buys daily at the nearby Ambrogio Market. A market tour to the famous Ambrogio Market with the Chef is included.
Food, art and romance overflow in Florence where ancient cobblestone streets are lined with cafes and trattorie that spill out onto piazzas. There are artisan makers of Renaissance paper, old world books, leather goods, wine, and Florentine food.
Florence is home to two important museums, both the Uffizi & Accademia which include an expansive collections of Renaissance art from Florentine greats such as Leonardo DaVinci (Adoration of the Magi), Michelangelo (Davide), Botticelli (Primavera) and Giorgio Vasari (the Vasari Corridor).
Meet Luca your Florentine guide and expert on art and all things Florence! Luca not only knows the history of the local art, but he knows the best places to eat and drink Tuscan wine. Learn about the first Etruscans who founded Florence, perhaps as early as 1000BC, the Medici Family, the Renaissance Art that followed, and how Florence evolved into being the art capital of Italy.
Step in the footsteps of the great personalities who were attracted to Florence, from Leonardo DaVinci to Catherine de Medici. There was also 19th century writer, Stendhal, who loved Florence so much he suffered from withdrawal when he was away. “Florence and its art causes me to have rapid heartbeat, dizziness and even fainting,” he said. Pick up a copy of Stendhal’s Naples and Florence: A Journey From Milan to Reggio to inspire you as you sip a cappuccino in a Florentine Café.
Shop With The Chef
Join Chef Lorena as she starts the morning off early and heads to the historical Ambrogio Market located in the ancient neighborhood of Camaldoli. Artisan vendors display their seasonal goods; fresh, local and piled high. It is a colorful scene as vendors shout out their specials of the day, and Italians of all sizes negotiate for the best product and price. This genuine market tour through the Sant’Ambrogio market under the wings of Chef Lorena will introduce you to the foods of the region. From breads, cheese, fruit, vegetable, fish, and meats to savory salumi, the market is an authentic place to purchase foods for all tastes. Be sure to look for the indigenous cavolo nero, the dark cabbage exclusively from this region in season. Some of the fresh ingredients are bought for the class and used as an informal tasting before one of the classes. Return to her kitchen and get cooking.
In your hands-on cooking classes you will learn to prepare antipasto, pasta, risotto, main courses and desserts under the guidance of Chef Lorena. She learned to cook by watching her grandmother make biscotti and tagliatelle for Sunday lunch. Her passion started when she was a child and continued as she says, “it was always in my heart and soul.”
You will learn from start-to-finish how to make Florentine bread including coccoli con prosciutto, schiacciata all’olio, and bruschette. There is fresh pasta, such as crespelle alla fiorentina, tagliatelle ai fungi porcini, and ravioli di ricotta. Also learn to make a great Tuscan pappa al pomodoro or Panzanella. Main courses or secondi, include pollo in fricassea, scamerita col cavolo nero, and polpette della nonna. Desserts include torta di mele, cantucci, and tiramisù al vinsanto to name a few. Following the seasons, recipes vary.
Everyone joins around the table and enjoys the foods that were made in class following. Local wine, dessert and great conversation always included. Chef, food lover, and member of a professional choir at the School of Music in Fiesole, there is always music in Lorena kitchen!
In the very heart of Renaissance Florence where all the artists once lived, Lorena B&B is comfy, cozy and adorned with all the modern touches. The property is just around the corner from Dante’s statue and a short walk from the Uffizi Museum. Set on a quiet street filled with Florentine palazzi make its location convenient and centrally located. Step into the warmth of the newly renovated B&B, and into a clean modern atmosphere, with comfortable furnishing, large windows, ensuite private baths in every room with showers, hairdryers, and air conditioning. A common breakfast room always filled with the sweet smell of Lorena home baked cakes and jam welcomes you each morning. A continental breakfast is included daily.
* Reserve early as Lorena has only four rooms. Alternate accommodations available upon request including 3-star, 4-star and 5-star options, while still cooking with Chef Lorena.
Itinerary ~ 4 Days, 3 Nights
Day One: Arrival & Chef’s Tasting Dinner
- Arrival and check in.
- Introduction and a Welcome Aperitivo.
- Chef’s Tasting Dinner with the Chef’s Tasting Menu at our favorite Ristorante, including classics such as crostini or bruschette, a classical antipasto; Tagliatelle & Porcini or Gnudi, as your primo. Secondo includes, tempting Tuscan beef-fillet with Arugola & Parmigiano or the classic bistecca alla Fiorentina.
- Fish or vegetarian menus are also available. Top it off with a sweet ending Tuscan Torta di Mela or Cantucci & Vin Santo.
Day Two: Market Tour & Cooking Class 1
- Breakfast is served.
- Market Tour: Chef Lorena takes you to the Ambrogio Market. Make your way through the tiny streets and you soon arrive to the famous marketplace where you will learn about the local foods in season. As you make your way through the heart of the Ambrogio Market, experience the smells, sounds and sights of colorful produce, watch vendors shout out their specials!
- Next, head into the kitchen with Chef Lorena for your Cooking Class 1.
- Lunch follows on the foods prepared in class. Local wine, water and café included.
- Afternoon free and dinner on your own.
Day Three: Cooking Class 2 & Uffizi Museum Tour
- Breakfast is served.
- Meet Chef Marie for your Cooking Class 2.
- Lunch follows with the foods prepared in class, wine & beverages included.
- Afternoon: Uffizi Museum Tour with our professional guide. Spend the morning at the Uffizi Gallery and see the Masterpieces of Botticelli, Da Vinci and Caravaggio. Giovanni Botticelli’s, Birth Of Venus & Primavera depict Renaissance art at its best. The half-day tour is with our private guide and reserved museum entrance included (tickets payable at the door).
- Take time out for dinner in one of many of the trattorias in the Santa Croce area. Suggestions provided.
Day Four: Departure
- Breakfast is served.
- Check out and say goodbye-until next time.
- Ciao e Arrivederci!
*Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the program.
- 4 Days, 3 Nights in classic double room, based on double occupancy.
- Daily breakfast.
- 2 hands-on cooking classes followed by lunch or dinner on the foods prepared in class. Wine and beverages included.
- Chef’s Tasting Dinner with Tasting Menu at local restaurant, antipasto, primo-pasta, secondo and dessert. Wine and beverages not included.
- Welcome Aperitivo & Introduction.
- Ambrogio Market Tour, with discussion & tastings.
- Museum Tour of the Uffizi Gallery, including 3-hour tour with private professional guide & reserved entrance to the museum (Museum tickets not included).
- Welcome Bag with Chef’s Apron.
- Round trip transfers to and from Florence Airport or Train Station.
$1,595 per person, based on double occupancy in 3-Star. All taxes and VAT included.
$200 Single Supplement, based on minimum 2 participants in the program, in two rooms in 3-Star.
If you are a single traveler and would like to join a small group, please call us for best single pricing.
*Supplement may apply during fair dates.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out.
2020 Dates: This program is available throughout the year. Check-in is on Sunday, but other days may be available on request. Rates are subject to change based on currency exchange. Call for updated rates. Airfare not included. Group transfers for any cooking tour or tours that include transfers, are for the group and are not private. Transfers before, after or to another destination outside of your cooking tour are not included in the program price. If you would like to add on a private transfer or transfers, let us know and we will send you pricing.
Add-on extra nights, cooking classes, a gelato tour, painting and or Italian classes & Food Lover’s Tour to your program.
Florentine Secret Address Tour
Let Chef Marie leads you through her favorite Florence places, choose a walk in the hills of Florence to see one of the most unforgettable panoramas or the window shopping through some of the most exclusive artisan craft-shops and the specialty shops in the historical center of Florence. Along the way, stop for a Florentine coffee or tea, a local glass of wine, or gelato. Informal discussion, food notes and tastings included. Program Price is 120E per person based on a minimum of 2 guests, including all taxes..
Drawing, Painting & Sculpture Classes
Florence has inspired artists for centuries, so let this magical city inspire your creative side in drawing, painting or sculpture classes. Each lesson lasts three hours and choose your focus based on your interests whether architecture, still life, the human body. Semi-private and group lessons available as well for those staying longer in Florence. Private and group art classes available. Please call us for best pricing based on private or group classes.
Learn Italian In Florence
During your stay, add on Italian language lessons for a true immersion into Florentine life and culture. Each lesson lasts one hour and themed lessons available to spiff up your kitchen vocabulary, too. Imagine walking through the market with your teacher to learn food words in Italian, or stop in a café to practice ordering from a menu. Whether you decide to keep your lessons inside or outside of the classroom, our Italian language teachers’ fun and relaxed style teaches you Italian greetings, going shopping, ordering in a café and restaurant and more that you will have the opportunity to use and practice during your stay. Semi-private and group lessons available and lessons can be geared to each person’s level, whether you are just learning to say Buongiorno, or you are ready for Dante’s Divina Commedia in its original Tuscan. Private and group Italian classes available. Please call us for best pricing based on your private or group classes.