Join Irma, your host and chef, for a fabulous cooking and wine experience in the romantic hills above Amalfi. Along with Irma, learn how to create authentic, traditional antipasti, fresh pastas, risottos and delicious dolci (they do call her Irma La Dolce after all!), and after a few days, you’ll soon understand why no one ever wants to leave this little corner of paradise.
With infinite views of sky and sea, the property enjoys a breathtaking position that showcases the Amalfi Coast in all its splendor. Wild birds glide on the hot air currents in the valley, church bells ring out in the village below and the scent of jasmine and lemon blossoms on the breeze invite you to explore the trails that lead down to the nearby Church of San Michele or out and along the mountainside.
There’s an old-world feel with Irma working her magic in the kitchen while the scent of fresh baked bread and cakes is never far off. Named after her maternal grandmother, Irma runs her country inn just like her nonna would want, with passion, enthusiasm and an enormous love of all things culinary. She still makes all her nonna’s favorite dishes including slow cooked braciole with garlic, parsley and few pine nuts tucked up inside, simmered in tomato sauce until they’re tender as can be, the eggplant parmesan, homemade pasta with cherry tomatoes and local Provolone del Monaco cheese as well as a cornucopia of sweets including her homemade breads and Torta al Limone.
Discover the most beautiful villages along the Amalfi Coast, the traditional products like limoncello, Fiore di Latte and extra virgin olive oil, along with its pasta- scialatielli and its award winning Falanghina and Aglianico wines. Irma’s Country Kitchen program brings you straight to the heart of Southern Italy’s cuisine, where sun, sea and the volcanic soil from nearby Vesuvius play a vital part making produce here extraordinary, and where dishes effortlessly combine products from land and sea. Enjoy an excursion to Amalfi and Ravello, visit the local produce market & artisan cheese makers and visit an award-winning winery for tastings and lunch.
Amalfi Coast Cooking Classes
Irma leads in hands-on cooking classes with fresh, seasonal vegetables from her garden, fresh daily catches from the sea, naturally raised meats and choices for vegetarians too.
Her kitchen is homey. Copper pans hang from up high, wooden shelves are lined with jars of homemade jams and jarred tomatoes, and a bouquet of dried thyme tied tight in twine dangles on a golden hook.
Before you start cooking, walk to the garden just a few steps away and pick the freshest ruccola, rosemary and basil that grow between the marigolds and lavender, and learn about the ancient mixed salads her grandmother used to create with just a few handfuls of herbs.
Menus are regional and seasonal and based on the freshest of what is in the garden and at the market that day: newly shelled peas, tiny cherry tomatoes, thin-skinned red potatoes, shiny eggplant, long thin zucchini with their flowers still attached, peppers, squash, cherries and of course lemons from the trees in the garden. Watch as Irma explains how to transform home made, sun-dried tomatoes into a delicious pesto rosso for bruschetta or to accompany pasta, turn your hand to a creamy lemon risotto made with lemons from the garden and get busy creating delicious Caprese, a traditional cake, and zeppole, small bites of sweet dough that are flash fried and sprinkled with sugar. Step back in time with old fashioned ragù sauces, pasta with fresh fish sauce, totani e patate – an unctuous purple stew of squid and potatoes, and the caponata, a traditional salad made with the area’s pane biscottato – twice baked bread, and tomatoes and basil. And of course, no trip would be complete without a traditional pizza night where you learn how to make Neapolitan pizza with Peppe, Irma’s friend the pizzaiolo!
Agerola & Furore
Like a town from a storybook, Furore is suspended between the sky and the sea, meaning there are to-die -for views wherever you turn. Agerola is another small town known for salumi, mozzarella, Neapolitan pizza and wine. Behind you, the craggy, limestone rockface of the Monti Lattari; before you, an infinite expanse of sea that slowly changes color and takes on the hues of the sky. Furore is a paese dipinto, a painted village, where artists have used the sides of houses and walls as their canvas and turned Furore into an outdoor art gallery. Many years ago, the famous Italian actress Anna Magnani and film director Roberto Rossellini met here, and fell madly in love, and it remained one of their favorite places for years to come. As it will yours…
Amalfi Coast Accommodation
Our country inn offers guests the best of both worlds: the characteristic perfumes and sounds of the wild, unspoiled beauty of this stretch of Coast as well as the area’s tradition of warm hospitality. As you stroll around the gardens, you’ll see snatches of countryside, from Conca Dei Marini to Praiano, revealed in frames through windows and balconies facing the sea.
Inside, every room is decorated and furnished in typical Amalfi style, with a unique touch lent by artisan hand-painted Vietri ceramics, and has all modern comforts to ensure your holiday on the Amalfi Coast is as relaxing as possible. In the breakfast room you’ll see Irma’s grandmother’s antique display cabinet still decked out with her Sunday best china. And in the garden, there’s a dreamy Mediterranean atmosphere where lemon and orange trees grow next to wild herbs, and roses flourish among the rosemary, mint, verbena, lemon balm and lavender. On sunny days you can choose to have breakfast outside on the terrace overlooking the blue sea of the Divina Costiera, or enjoy a limoncello in the afternoon in the shade of a lemon tree.
Itinerary ~ 5 Days, 4 Nights
Check in and start your program on any day of the week
- Pick up and transfer from Naples airport/train station to Property.
- Check in. Meet Irma and enjoy a Welcome aperitivo.
- Welcome tasting dinner, local wine & water included.
Day Two: Amalfi & Ravello, Cooking Class 1
- Breakfast is Served
- Morning: Trip to Amalfi & Ravello with private driver.
- The small town of Amalfi, perched on the coastline, is dominated by Amalfi’s Cathedral and its main streets are lined with small shops and elegant bars. Merchants display their wares outside and nothing could be more pleasant than browsing through stalls of herbs and spices, jewelry, shoes, the beautiful handmade Amalfi paper, and local lemon specialties such lemon soap and lemon liqueurs. Suggested is a stop in at one of the oldest and most famous pastry makers in southern Italy- dating back to the 1800’s. A look inside reveals a sweet showcase of chocolate drenched eggplant flavored with pine nuts, liqueur and orange; fragrant ricotta pear tarts; candied lemon and orange dragged in dark chocolate; or festive pastries of the day! Whatever you decide to order, take a seat outside in the piazza at one of the small café tables that overlook the greatest people-watching site on the Coast.
- Ravello follows. This quaint town, often called the city between ‘Sea & Sky’, is suspended high above the coast, with sweeping views that span everything from the Tyrrhenian Sea to the mountains inland.
- Afternoon: Cooking Class 1: Tie on your apron and get cooking in your first hands-on traditional Neapolitan cooking class with Irma. Start with an antipasto, then get busy creating pasta, a main course and dessert. Dinner follows and includes the foods made in the cooking class. Everyone enjoys the foods together at the table. Local wine, caffè and water included (After dinner drinks and liqueurs are available at a surcharge).
Day Three: Market Tour & Cooking Class 2
- Breakfast is served.
- Set out on a market tour of the nearby town of Agerola for a Food Lover’s Tour. You will visit the artisan shops of limoncello, pane~bread, salumi and prosciutto, cheese and ceramics. Food discussions and tastings included along the way.
- Afternoon: Cooking Class 2: Tie on your apron for your second traditional Neapolitan cooking class. Start with an antipasto, followed by pasta, a main course and dessert. Dinner follows and includes the foods made in the cooking class. Everyone enjoys the foods together at the table. Local wine, caffè and water included (After dinner drinks and liqueurs are available at a surcharge).
Day Four: Winery visit Tour & Pizza Party
- Breakfast is served
- Morning: Visit one of the area’s most important wine producers, where you’ll learn about the particular challenges of making wine in this part of the world, but also about the beneficial effects of the sun, and the welcome sea breeze. The visit to the winery is followed by lunch where you will enjoy lunch accompanied by a selection of the wines discussed at the winery.
- Evening: Farewell pizza-making party with a real pizzaiolo! Have fun learning how to kneed, roll and toss your pizza dough like an expert and enjoy choosing your favorite topping before popping into the oven. Also learn how to make the assorted toppings for your pizza as well as a traditional dessert. Wine, caffè and water included.
Day 5: Check out & arrivederci
- Check out & arrivederci
- Transfer to Naples
Note: This sample itinerary schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saints days; festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the week.
- Five days/four nights accommodations, based on double occupancy in a villa-style Bed & Breakfast with private bath
- Daily breakfast.
- Welcome Aperitivo & Welcome Dinner on your first night.
- 2 Hands-on Cooking Classes (antipasto, pasta, second dish & dolce) followed by lunch/dinner with the foods prepared in class. (Includes cheese-making.) Local wine and water included.
- Excursion to Amalfi & Ravello with private driver. Stop along the way for fabulous photo opportunities.
- Market trip to Agerola, including a Food Lover’s Tour. Visits to the artisan shops of limoncello, pane~bread, salumi and prosciutto, cheese and ceramics. Food discussions and tastings included along the way.
- Visit to award-winning local winery. Tastings and lunch included. (If winery is closed, visit will be substituted with a tasting dinner and free bottle of wine.)
- 1 Hands-on Pizza Party – with our favorite pizzaiolo (pizza & dolce). Dinner with the foods prepared in class. Local wine and water included.
- Round trip group transfers from Naples airport/train station to the Property.
- Welcome Bag with Prosecco toast & recipes.
$1,895 per person, based on 2 guests.
For Single Guests: If you are traveling on your own, please call us for the best group price. We are happy to welcome you into an already scheduled group.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out. 1 transfer per group each way. Wifi is provided complimentary in the sitting area.