Join Chef Barbara at the charming Chianti B&B just outside of Florence for genuine Tuscan cooking, followed by a feast on the foods prepared in your cooking class. Your Florence countryside 3-day program is set in a Tuscan garden with Florence just minutes away. Chef Barbara’s 3-day program is the perfect treat to add onto your longer Italy trip, or makes for a fun weekend getaway, as the B&B is conveniently located minutes from the Florence Airport.
In addition to her family traditions and cooking, Chef Barbara, who is always cooking up seasonal delicious Tuscan traditional food, shares her knowledge and love of Italian culture with each and every guest. Sample Tuscan specialties during your stay, visit the marketplace, and roll up your sleeves for an authentic hands on cooking class in her kitchen, then enjoy the fruits of your labor in a full-course lunch with Chianti wine included – all with the Tuscan countryside and your beautiful villa accommodation as the backdrop.
Each hands-on cooking class starts with an introduction and a stroll through Barbara’s vegetable garden to see and learn about the foods of the season. Barbara’s family grows spinach, onions, celery, herbs and lettuce, and more. Then return to the kitchen to tie on your apron and get cooking!
Your hands-on cooking class includes the preparation of a four-course Tuscan meal, starting with an appetizer such as crostini with mushrooms, or fegatini, the traditional chicken liver served on warm toasted bread of Tuscany, then on to a first course of homemade Ricotta and spinach ravioli in tomato sauce or tagliatelle pasta with slow-cooked ragù. Main courses include chicken alla cacciatora, simmered with garden vegetables and olives or turkey roulade stuffed with ham and spinach. End with a sweet dessert such as Barbara’s famous zuccotto, a domed sponge cake filled with chocolate and whipped cream or her special recipe for tiramisù.
You may also choose a special Pasta Making Class, including the preparation of green potato gnocchi with a four-cheese sauce, gnudi, a traditional ‘naked’ ravioli of Ricotta, spinach, and Parmigiano Reggiano. Learn to make traditional pasta and the sauces that go with them.
Lunch follows on the foods prepared in class. Toast with a glass of Chianti wine and end with a good Italian espresso!
The countryside Villa is the perfect setting for your stay- just minutes from Chef Barbara’s kitchen. The residence was originally built in the year 1771 and was typical of many Tuscan farmhouses of that time – square in form and with dovecotes on the roof. With centuries of history, the Villa was recently renovated and converted to a B&B with charming bedrooms, a breakfast room and an outdoor swimming pool open all summer long. All furnishings maintain the history and original style of the Villa, with modern amenities including ensuite bathroom, TV, safe, hairdryer and Wi-Fi Internet. Bedrooms overlook the Villa’s gardens and the surrounding Tuscan hills. The estate also includes a farm with peach trees, an olive grove with more than 3,000 olive trees, vines, a wine cellar and production area where homemade jams and preserves are made. All of the farm’s produce is raised organically.
Each morning, an ample homemade buffet breakfast is served in the cozy breakfast room or in the garden. Fresh fruits & vegetables from the garden, fresh eggs & cheese from the nearby farm, and only genuine local products are used to make the fresh breads, cakes, tortes, biscotti frittata, and more that are served each morning.
Itinerary ~ 3 Days, 2 Nights
Day 1: Arrival & Check In
- Pick up and transfer from Florence Airport or Station to the property.
- In the evening, light Welcome Dinner prepared by your host, Irene. Taste Tuscany’s famous salamis, smoked meats, cheeses, fresh grilled vegetables and light salads, along with wood-oven baked breads (rigorously without salt, by Tuscan tradition) and a sweet bite to finish. Toast with a glass of local wine, included, additional wine & beverages at a surcharge.
Day 2: Market Visit & Cooking Class
- Breakfast is served.
- Meet Chef Barbara for an early morning market visit and learn about the fruits and vegetables in season. Learn how to choose the best products and see what the early morning market brings to this countryside Tuscan town.
- Then, return to the kitchen for your hands-on cooking class with Chef Barbara including the preparation of a four-course traditional menu or fresh pasta making, lasting about 3 hours.
- Lunch follows on the foods prepared in class. Local Chianti wine and coffee included.
- Afternoon free to relax at the B&B, spend the afternoon in Florence, or set out and explore the area nearby such as the charming town of Vinci, home of Leonardo Da Vinci. This medieval town hosts the Leonardo Da Vinci museum dedicated to the art and work of this Renaissance man and including models of some of Leonardo’s most famous designs and inventions.
- Dinner on your own. Suggestions provided upon request.
Day 3: Departure
- Breakfast is served.
- Check out & departure transfer to Florence Airport or Station.
*Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the program.
- 3 days, 2 nights accommodations in the charming Florence countryside B&B, based on double occupancy. Click to view!
- Daily breakfast.
- Light Dinner on your first evening including local salami & salumi, cheese, fresh breads & salads and a sweet bite to finish. Local wine & water included, additional wine & beverages at a surcharge.
- Local market visit with informal discussion with the Chef.
- Hands-on cooking class including the preparation of a four-course traditional menu or fresh pasta making, lasting about 3 hours. Lunch follows on the foods prepared in class. Local Chianti wine and coffee included.
- Recipe booklet.
- Round trip transfers from Florence Airport or Station.
- Wi-Fi Internet connection available.
*A rental car is suggested for this countryside program to give you complete independence to tour on your own in your free time and visit the hilltop Tuscan towns.
$895 per person, based on minimum 2 people. Italian VAT included.
$300 Single Supplement.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out.