Join Executive Chef Mino for hands-on cooking classes in the heart of Modena. Learn how to prepare traditional antipasto, fresh pasta, main courses and desserts, while learning the traditions of Modena and the farm-to-table philosophy that has governed this region for centuries. Chef Mino is a highly seasoned Executive Chef who will teach you new skills in a friendly kitchen, while answering questions and taking time with each guest.
You’ll learn how to prepare fresh pasta including: tortellini, cappelletti, tortelloni and lasagne – delicately rolled by hand. You’ll also learn how to make traditional and in season sauces including: slow-cooked ragù bolognese. Main courses range from cotechino con le lenticchie, to pork with lentils, to arista di maiale arrosto, roasted lamb, tiletto di mailino all’aceto Balsamico, filet of lamb with aged Balsamic. Desserts such as bensone, Modena’s traditional cake, or Zuppa Inglese along with local Lambrusco or red or white wine are included.
During your Modena cooking tour, you’ll visit the famous market and learn about the region’s fruits, vegetables, produce, cheese, bread, wine and pasta. Also included on the tour is are the famous monuments of Modena. Tastings included along the way.
Soak up the sights and culture of the quaint cafés and wine bars that spill on the sidewalks, while artisan shops are brimming with handmade goods.
Modena Cooking Classes
Cooking classes take place in our Executive chef’s private kitchen. Learn how to make beautiful sheets of hand-made fresh pasta that’ll be hand-cut into tortellini, cappelletti and ravioli, along with seasonal sauces of ragù and Bolognese, pumpkin and mushroom, to name but a few. Main courses are plentiful and include braised veal with fennel, zampone and even cotechino, stuffed pig trotter. Desserts, are delicious, and include the ever-moist torta Barozzi or torta nera, a black tart made with coffee, chocolate and almond, and a sip of nocino, an after dinner liqueur.
You’ll cook, learn and taste Parmigiano-Reggiano, still made by artisan dairymen, aceto balsamico, made from aged wine, and prosciutto. During the cooking class you will prepare a full course lunch or dinner. Following the cooking class everyone dines together on the food that was prepared in the cooking class. Local red or white wine is included.
Modena is small city that is big in history, music, cuisine and landmarks. Set on the south side of the Po Valley in the heart of Emilia Romagna, the small town gained notoriety in the twelfth century, when it became a free city and then passed to the rule of the Este family late the next century. By the sixteenth century it was a wealthy and prosperous city, and also the home to the Pope.
Its cobblestone walkways tell a tale of its ancient past. Walk along its narrow streets and visit the famous covered market. Filled with vendors selling local vegetables, fish, meats, cheese, breads and pasta, it is a social meeting place for locals who love to buy the region’s best produce and D.O.P. products.
Visit the Ducal Palace, The Town Hall, The Cathedral and the Ghirlandina, Museum Palace, Synagogue or Teatro Comunale Modena for an interesting tour that showcases the city’s past.
Modena is called the capital of engines, due to the factories of the famous Italian sports car makers Ferrari, De Tomaso, Lamborghini, Pagani and Maserati. It was also the hometown of Luciano Pavarotti, the great Italian tenor, whose name now graces the local opera house, the ex-Teatro Comunale.
Our charming bed and breakfast is set in the heart of Modena, footsteps from the main piazza, Piazza Grande, the Cathedral and the Ghirlandina Tower. Each room has private ensuite bathroom, comfortable beds, fine linens and bathroom amenities. On the property, there is a living room and library with sitting room where can relax and sit back and enjoy a glass of wine. Daily breakfast is included, and is served on the terrace overlooking the Ghirlandina Tower and rooftops of Modena. Careful attention to detail by the professional staff ensure guests enjoy a warm and friendly stay.
Day 1: Benvenuto, Welcome & Chef’s Tasting Dinner
- Arrival & check-in.
- In the evening, enjoy your Chef’s Tasting Welcome Dinner with a full course fare along with local red or white wine and water. Additional wine, drinks, grappa and an assortment of after dinner digestives are available at a surcharge.
Day 2: Cooking Class 1 & Half-day Food Lover’s Tour Of Modena
- Breakfast is served. Following breakfast, we meet in the kitchen.
- Tie on our apron for your hands-on cooking class preparing a full course lunch including an antipasto, fresh pasta, main course and dessert. Lunch follows and everyone dines on the foods prepared that were prepared in the cooking class. Toast with a glass of red or white local wine, included. (Additional wines, beverages are available at a surcharge).
- Afternoon: Half-day Modena Food Walk & Landmark Tour. Meet your guide and discover Modena, its history, cuisine and monuments such as, the Ducal Palazzo, the Cathedral and Ghirlandina tower. You English-speaking guide leads as you learn about this fascinating city with tastes along the way. Enjoy salumi, ham and artisan cheeses with local bread followed by a creamy gelato. If guests opt to enter any museum, museum tickets not included and may be purchased at the entrance.
- Dinner is on your own. Suggestions available upon request.
Day 3: Cooking Class 2 Modena
- Breakfast is served.
- Tie on our apron for your hands-on cooking class preparing a full course lunch including an antipasto, fresh pasta, main course and dessert. Lunch follows and everyone dines on the foods prepared in class. Toast with a glass of red or white local wine, included. Additional wines, beverages are available at a surcharge.
- Afternoon free to explore Modena on your own, do a little shopping or have an afternoon aperitivo in the piazza.
- Dinner on your own. Suggestions available upon request.
Day 4: Check Out & Departure
- Breakfast is served.
- Arrivederci Modena!
*Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included in the program. Please note that museum tickets are not included in program price.
- 3 nights accommodations in charming Modena boutique B&B, based on 2 guests. Click to View!
- Daily breakfast and maid service.
- Full course Chef’s Tasting Menu on your first night arrival. Wine, beverages, after-dinner liqueurs and caffè are not included and are available at a surcharge.
- 2 hands-on cooking classes. Lunch follows and everyone dines on the foods prepared in class. Toast with a glass of red or white local wine, included. Additional wines, beverages are available at a surcharge.
- Half-day Modena Food Walk & Landmark Tour with English speaking guide. Tastings included. Museum tickets not included in program price.
$1,695 per person, based on 2 guests.
For Single Guests: If you are traveling on your own, please call us for the best group price. We are happy to welcome you into an already scheduled group.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out.