Join Chef Mino for an extraordinary hands-on cooking experience in the heart of Modena. Learn how to prepare traditional antipasto, fresh pasta, main courses and desserts, while learning the traditions of Italy’s gastronomic heart ~ Modena. Cooking classes are designed for food lovers passionate to learn more about the products and history of this magical region, Emilia Romagna.
You will learn how to make a variety of fresh pasta, rolled by hand, and traditional slow-cooked ragù bolognese; and the main course staple, cotechino with lentils or vegetables. Regional desserts, such as bensone, a specialty cake, along with bubbling Lambrusco, complete each cooking class for a taste of local cuisine.
When you’re not in the kitchen, meet your guide for a fascinating tour of the town’s markets and monuments. As you stroll around the quiet streets and piazzas, visit the vibrant covered market lined with artisan pasta makers and renowned food purveyors – four generations old, enjoying delicious tastings along the way. And don’t forget to keep an eye open for the sophisticated locals. Cafés and wine bars spill on the sidewalks, while artisan shops and their windows are full of handmade garments, hats and shoes. The Modenesi love to dress well, knowing how to add a chic touch to an outfit with just the right hat or scarf. And just one look in the shop windows will lure you in.
Modena Cooking Classes
Our special Modena hands-on cooking program is designed for those who love traditional Italian cooking and are curious to learn how to make local fresh pasta, main course, sides and desserts.
Cooking classes take place in our chef’s private kitchen where we always start with an overview of the food. Learn how to make beautiful sheets of hand-made fresh pasta that’ll be hand-cut into tortellini, cappelletti and ravioli, along with seasonal sauces of ragù, pumpkin and mushroom, to name but a few. Main courses are plentiful and include braised veal with fennel, zampone and even cotechino, stuffed pig trotter. Desserts, are delicious, and include the ever-moist torta Barozzi or torta nera, a black tart made with coffee, chocolate and almond, and a sip of nocino, an after dinner liqueur.
You’ll cook, learn and taste Parmigiano-Reggiano, still made by artisan dairymen, aceto balsamico, made from aged wine, and end with a dolce, the famous bensone and Barozzi cake.
Join our chef and dine at our table in magico Modena. Following the cooking class everyone dines together on the food that was prepared in class along with a toast of Lambrusco!
Modena is a culture treasure packed with history, music, excellent cuisine and landmarks that will take your breath away. Set on the south side of the Po Valley in the heart of Emilia Romagna, the small town gained notoriety in the twelfth century, when it became a free city and then passed to the rule of the Este family late the next century. By the sixteenth century it was a relatively wealthy and prosperous town and home to the Pope.
Its cobblestone walkways tell a tale of its ancient past. Walk along its narrow streets and visit the famous covered market. Filled with vendors selling local vegetables, fish, meats, cheese, breads and pasta, it is a social meeting place for locals who love to buy the region’s best produce and D.O.P. products.
Visit the Ducal Palace, The Town Hall, The Cathedral and the Ghirlandina, Museum Palace, Synagogue or Teatro Comunale Modena for an interesting tour that showcases the city’s past.
Modena is called the capital of engines, due to the factories of the famous Italian sports car makers Ferrari, De Tomaso, Lamborghini, Pagani and Maserati. It was also the hometown of Luciano Pavarotti, the great Italian tenor, whose name now graces the local opera house, the ex-Teatro Comunale.
Our charming bed and breakfast is set in the heart of Modena, footsteps from the main piazza, Piazza Grande, the Cathedral and the Ghirlandina Tower. Each room has private bathroom, and there is a living room and library space to relax in or listen to music. Daily breakfast is included, and is served on the terrace overlooking the Ghirlandina Tower and rooftops of Modena. Careful attention to detail and kind service ensure guests enjoy a warm and friendly welcome.
Day 1: Benvenuto, Welcome & Chef’s Tasting Dinner
- Arrival & check-in.
- In the evening, enjoy your Chef’s Tasting Dinner, a toast of wine & water included. (Additional wine, drinks, grappa and an assortment of after dinner digestives are available at a surcharge).
Day 2: Cooking Class 1 & Half-day Food Lover’s Tour Of Modena
- Breakfast is served.
- Head into the kitchen for your first hands-on cooking class. Lunch or dinner follows and everyone dines on the foods prepared in class. Toast with a glass of red or white local wine, included. (Additional wines, beverages are available at a surcharge).
- Afternoon: Half-day Modena Food Walk & Landmark Tour. Meet your guide for your tour which explores the gastronomy of Modena and takes in monuments such as the Ducal Palazzo, the Cathedral and Ghirlandina tower. Walk and taste you way through Modena’s charming center – stop off for a frothy cappuccino and a pastry, sample typical cold cuts and cheeses with local bread and end with a creamy gelato. Tastings included. (Museum tickets not included in program price.)
- Dinner is on your own. Suggestions available from hotel.
Day 3: Cooking Class 2 Modena
- Breakfast is served.
- Head into the kitchen for your second hands-on cooking class. Lunch follows and everyone dines on the foods prepared in class. Toast with a glass of red or white local wine, included. (Additional wines, beverages are available at a surcharge).
- Afternoon free to explore the area and relax, or do a little shopping.
- Dinner on your own. Suggestions available from hotel.
Day 4: Check Out & Departure
- Breakfast is served.
- Arrivederci Modena!
*Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included in the program. Please note that museum tickets are not included in program price.
- 3 nights accommodations in charming Modena B&B, based on double occupancy. Click to View!
- Daily breakfast.
- Full course Chef’s Tasting Menu on your first night arrival. (Wine, beverages, after-dinner liqueurs and caffè available at a surcharge).
- 2 hands-on cooking classes, with lunch or dinner following. A toast of local wine included, with additional wines, beverages, after-dinner liqueur and caffè available at a surcharge.
- Half-day Modena Food Walk & Landmark Tour with English speaking guide. Tastings included. (Museum tickets not included in program price.)
$1,250 per person, based on double occupancy. Includes all taxes and Italian VAT.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out.