Join Chef Gina and learn how to prepare local antipasto, fresh pasta and sauces, main courses and desserts in the ancient city of Amalfi. Discover old world recipes prepared in a light and healthy way incorporating the Mediterranean diet. You will be cooking local fresh fish, meat raised in the countryside of Scala, in-season fruits and vegetables from her Amalfi Coast garden. Chef Gina’s traditional recipes and new techniques include the preparation of an antipasto, first course (such as pasta or risotto), second course and dessert. Each class will have you cooking up a storm using delicious, healthy ingredients, with lunch or dinner following on the foods cooked during class, a toast of wine included.
Our Sweet Lemon program takes you on a culinary tour of the famed Amalfi Coast and its beautiful surroundings, all while you soak up the culture and visit fun artisan food stops and landmarks. You will also drive up to Ravello, perched on its rocky outpost high above Amalfi, with its winding streets and alleyways and intriguing history. Spend time with your guides Anna and Alessio, learning about local food, history and culture, all the while, sampling tastings of typical foods and ending with a glass of Prosecco. Then head into our professional Mediterranean kitchen for hands-on cooking classes where you will create a series of authentic recipes using different ingredients, techniques and styles, and of course, limoncello too!
Amalfi Cooking Classes
Our program includes two hands-on cooking classes (you may always add-on more if you like) with lunch or dinner. In each cooking class we use only fresh organic products that are seasonal. You will experience southern Italy’s cooking styles, foods and wines in this unique food lover’s program. Our Mediterranean cooking combines the finest ingredients to provide a healthy and balanced diet for your Amalfi Coast experience. Our chef uses local produce and ingredients to offer dishes based on fresh fish, together with a wonderful variety of vegetables, salads and fruit, everything served and cooked with first, cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil to exalt the delicious natural flavors of foods, rather than hiding them under heavy sauces. You will also enjoy a limoncello making class where your chef will explain the history of lemons on the Amalfi Coast and share her family recipe for this delicious liqueur.
Amalfitano cooking is a classic here and includes a hint of influence from its past sea traders: Grecians, Arabs (who introduced exotic spices and added raisins and pine nuts), and of course, Neapolitans. In each class, you’ll learn how to prepare traditional foods, while learning about Amalfi’s historic past. Prepare eggplant bites, stuffed zucchini flowers as antipasti, followed by rolling out scialatielli, Amalfi Coast pasta. Fresh fish reigns, preparing it lemon style or with tomato, grilled or baked. And, if meat is your favorite or vegetarian too, our Chef accommodates all. Dolce is a must and includes tiramisù al limone, using local Amalfi lemons, semi-freddo, an Italian ice cream dessert, crostata, Italian pie and delizia al limone, a speciality of the Amalfi Coast. The recipes use simple ingredients and can easily be recreated at home. After your class, enjoy the wonderful lunch or dinner prepared in class. Toast with a great glass of Aglianico, red, or Falanghina, white, wine and end with a sweet dessert.
In addition, if pasta is your favorite, you can choose to add on our Pasta Making Workshop where you will learn to make traditional, fresh, hand-made pasta step-by-step, or if you want to try your hand at something more sophisticated, you can add on our Advanced Cooking Class. This program is the perfect choice for any food lover.
Amalfi Cooking Tour™
Our Sweet Lemons Amalfi program is hosted at your choice of accommodations: either at our charming B&B in town or our 4-star property located on the seafront. Cool ceramic tiles line each bedroom, with a private bathroom and shower in each room. Additional amenities include: hairdryer, safe, refrigerator, and air conditioning. Breakfast is served each morning, and daily maid service is provided for your convenience.
During your program you’ll have ample time to sunbathe on the beach or relax at cafés drinking cappuccinos or a freshly squeezed lemonade. Step out your door and stroll past cafés, bookshops, and trattorias that spill onto the sidewalk. The Tyrrhenian Sea is literally at your feet as the beach is just a short walk away. From the port, you can take a water taxi or a private boat service to Sorrento, Positano, Ischia, Capri and Naples
Our elegant Amalfi 4-Star hotel is set looking out over the sea in the center of town. All rooms are elegant, bright and decorated in Mediterranean style, with furnishings specially chosen to lend a warm and comfortable atmosphere. All rooms have a sea view window and are fully-equipped with private bathroom, hairdryer, air conditioning, mini-bar, safe and TV. There is also garden which grows organic vegetables for use in the hotel’s restaurant, and a sea-water pool with solarium.
Our charming Amalfi B&B is a newly renovated structure set in the historic center of Amalfi directly overlooking the main square and the cathedral with its majestic staircase and Arab-Norman façade. Rooms are furnished with an eye to detail – from the elegant marble floors to the luxurious bed fabrics – and are equipped with air conditioning, private bathroom with tiled walk-in shower, satellite TV, safe, kettle and tea set, hairdryer and small area with table and armchairs.
The town of Amalfi is rich in culture and history. Perched on the coastline, Amalfi is dominated by its medieval Cathedral, il Cattedrale di Sant’Andrea, and its main streets are lined with small shops and elegant bars. Merchants display their wares outside and nothing could be more pleasant than browsing through stalls of herbs and spices, jewelry, shoes, the beautiful handmade Amalfi paper, and local lemon specialties such lemon soap and lemon liqueurs. Suggested is a stop in at one of the oldest and most famous pastry makers in southern Italy – dating back to the 1800’s. A look inside reveals a sweet showcase of chocolate-drenched eggplant flavored with pine nuts, liqueur and orange; fragrant ricotta pear tarts; candied lemon and orange dragged in dark chocolate; or festive pastries of the day! Whatever you decide to order, take a seat outside in the piazza at one of the small café tables that overlook the greatest people-watching site on the Coast.
Ravello is hailed the ‘International City of Music’ and is known for its precious panoramic view from the gardens of Villa Cimbrone. The town is perched 350 meters over the rocky spur of the Amalfi Coast separating the Valle del Dragone from the Valle del Regina. Today, Ravello is world-famous for its outdoor music concerts. Visit Villa Cimbrone, once the residence of Greta Garbo, wander through the lush gardens and the Terrazza Delle Rose, or stroll down the path that leads to the Terrazzo dell’Infinito (Terrace of Infinity). This natural balcony is adorned with imposing marble busts. From this unique vantage point you can see the distant Cilento Mountains and the Licosa beyond the sparkling sea, the lush Amalfi Coast, its distinctive terraces of colorful lemon trees, and the typical whitewashed houses that cling to the rugged coastline. Stroll along the streets and alleyways and discover little gems of churches, chapels, and noblemen’s residences. Also see the Cathedral, Villa Rufolo, San Giovanni del Tauro, and Santa Maria.
Itinerary: 5 days, 4 nights
This program is scheduled from Saturday to Friday, however you may check in and start your program on any day of the week. If you do start on a day other than Saturday, you will start your activities on that day, and all activities described will be included during your program.
Saturday: Benvenuto & Chef’s Tasting Dinner
- Pick-up and transfer from Naples airport or train station to the property.
- Arrival & check-in. Refresh and relax. Read over the contents of your Welcome Bag including helpful information that will acquaint you with the area, and go over your itinerary for your cooking program. Also included is your Chef’s apron and general information and notes on landmarks, and our “Hot Picks list.”
- Later in the evening, you will be served the full course Chef’s Tasting Dinner at our favorite local restaurant. (Wine, drinks, grappa and an assortment of after dinner digestives are not included, and are available at a surcharge).
Sunday: Cooking Class 1
- Breakfast is served.
- Monday: Discover Amalfi ~ Cooking Class 1
- Cooking Class 1 Tie on your aprons and get ready to cook! You will be slicing, dicing and preparing, hands-on antipasto, pasta, main course and dessert. Follow your chef, step by step, and create your first delicious, authentic Italian meal. Lunch follows and everyone enjoys the foods that were prepared in class. Toast with a glass of local red or white wine and end with a sweet dessert, included. Additional wines, beverages and after-dinner digestives available at a surcharge.
- After lunch, take a stroll around to discover Amalfi, and saunter through the cobblestone streets, visit the cathedral or the paper museum.
- Hop on a bus, water taxi or hire our driver, Rino, for a visit to Sorrento or Positano, as a suggestion. It you opt to take the local blue SITA bus or the Amalfi-Sorrento Water Taxi, you will need to buy your round trip tickets directly near the port. Explore Sorrento or Positano and enjoy the sea-side towns on your own.
- Dinner is on your own, your Restaurant Hot Picks list will offer you lots to choose from.
Monday: Food Lover’s Tour Amalfi Coast & Ravello With Guide
- Breakfast is served.
- Enjoy a guided tour of Amalfi then drive along the famed Amalfi Coast headed to the hilltop village of Ravello.
- Start your private guided tour in Amalfi with Anna, resident and eloquent art history expert who will take you on Food Lover’s Walk of Amalfi and then on to a Ravello Landmark Tour, leading you through the gardens, pathways, villas, shops, artisan workshops and churches of the towns. If you love food and wine, Anna offers insight and history. The walking tour starts out with introduction to the historical city of Amalfi, and then moves on to all the best stops for food, produce, wine, pastry and cheese. As you make our way through these two beautiful seaside towns, you make a couple of tasty stops along the way, meet local producers of wine, cheese, bread and more, and learn about the seasonal fruits, vegetables, fish & cheese of the Amalfi Coast. Tastings included.
- Return to Amalfi.
- Dinner is on your own, your Restaurant Hot Picks list will offer you lots to choose from.
Tuesday: Excursion to Vietri And Ceramic Shopping
- Drive along the Amalfi Coast to the small town of Vietri which is famous for its artisan ceramic makers. Here you will see old-world ceramics like table tops made of volcanic rock and hand-painted in soft colors with seascapes, grapes and lemons, romantic angels and Mediterranean scenes. There are many different styles to peruse and ceramic producers are also happy to ship worldwide. Overlooking the sea, Vietri Sul Mare is sheltered from behind by Mount St. Liberatore and Mount Falerio. The town is internationally famous for the production of ceramics, an art which dates back to Medieval times and is still of prime importance to the town’s economic prosperity today. Today, the Ceramics of Vietri have their own protected brand name. Vietri is also a popular tourist destination with its beaches and its historic Saracen Tower, originally built to keep Saracen invadors at bay. And inland, there are many beautiful mountain paths which are much loved by nature enthusiasts. Not to be missed; the town’s most important monument, the 17th-century Church of St. Giovanni Battista, with its majolica-covered dome which dominates the townscape. Also nearby is the beautiful Valle di Albori – the natural habitat of the carnivorous plant, Pinguicola Hirtifolia!
- Evening free and dinner on your own. Your Restaurant Hot Pick list will offer you lots to choose from.
Wednesday: Check Out & Departure
- Breakfast is served.
- Departure transfer to airport or train station. Ciao e a presto!
*Note: This sample itinerary schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saints days; festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the week. Please note that museum tickets are not included in program price.
- Five days/four nights accommodations, based on double occupancy in a villa-style Bed & Breakfast or 4-Star hotel with private bath-and sea view
- Daily breakfast and maid service.
- Full course Chef’s Tasting Menu on your first night arrival. (Wine, beverages, after-dinner liqueurs and caffè available at a surcharge).
- One hands-on cooking classes, with lunch or dinner following. A toast of local wine included, with additional wines, beverages, after-dinner liqueur and caffè available at a surcharge.
- Food Lover’s Walk of Amalfi & Landmark Tour of Ravello with private driver and English-speaking guide, tastings included.
- Excursion to Vietri with private driver. (Private tour guide available on request).
- Welcome bag with chef’s apron, recipe booklet and information booklet.
- Welcome Prosecco aperitivo.
- Round trip group transfers from Naples Airport or Naples Train station to Amalfi.
- Wi-Fi internet connection available.
$2,495 per person, based on 2 guests in a charming boutique B&B with balcony in the heart of Amalfi.
$2,895 per person, based on 2 guests in a 4 star superior room with swimming pool in Amalfi.
$2,995 per person, based on 2 guests in a 4 star deluxe room with swimming pool in Amalfi.
For Single Guests: If you are traveling on your own, please call us for the best group price. We are happy to welcome you into an already scheduled group.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out.
2020 Dates: This program is available throughout the year. Check in is on Saturday, but you may check in and start your cooking program any day of the week. If you check in on any other day besides Saturday, you simply start your program on that day and pick up that day’s activities. You will have all your activities included. This program is available 12 months per year. Rates are subject to change based on currency exchange. Call for updated rates. Airfare not included. Group transfers for any cooking tour or tours that include transfers, are for the group and are not private. Transfers before, after or to another destination outside of your cooking tour are not included in the program price. If you would like to add on a private transfer or transfers, let us know and we will send you pricing.
ROUND TRIP TRANSFERS
*Round trip group transfers from Naples Airport/Train to Amalfi and from Amalfi to Naples Airport/Train are included in your program. 1 transfer per group each way. ARRIVAL-Arrival transfers from Naples Airport going to Amalfi are at scheduled 1:00pm and 4:00pm; and from Naples train station to Amalfi at 3:00pm, in consideration of international arrivals. Departures leave promptly at the scheduled time. Please call us if you have any questions about your airline and train itinerary.
If you cannot make the scheduled group transfer time, a special transfer can be reserved and the cost is 160€ per car; 195€ if after 6pm. All transfer fees are payable directly to the car service. Please call us if you have any questions.
DEPARTURE-Departure from the property in Amalfi to Naples Airport/Train are at 4am and 10am (in heavy traffic conditions, departures may start 30 minutes prior). 10am is the official property check out time on the morning of your departure. If you would like an earlier or later departure transfer, a special transfer departure can be reserved and the cost is 130€ per car; 165€ if before 8:00am.
For single travelers not arriving/departing on a Saturday, an additional transfer fee will apply. All extra add on transfer fees are payable directly to the car service.
City taxes, which vary, are not included and must be paid by each guest on site at the time of check out. Please call us if you have any questions.