Join Chef Barbara for an authentic, fun-filled cooking experience designed for families and children at our charming B&B in the countryside of Florence.
Set in a Tuscan garden with Florence just minutes away, everyone ties on their aprons and learns how to roll out pasta, pizza and create yummy Tuscan desserts that can be recreated at home. Experience the delights of our family program that will have you learning to cook like a local while making new friends in sunny Italy. Chef Barbara’s 7-day cooking tour is the perfect family treat, a way to spend time together in the kitchen while also exploring the Tuscan towns and villages conveniently located close to Florence.
In addition to cooking, Chef Barbara shares her knowledge and love of Italian culture with children and their families. Discover her beautiful Tuscan vegetable garden and learn about organic growing and biodynamic gardening and also fill your basket with any of the fruits and vegetable that are ready for picking.
Florence Kids Cooking
Chef Barbara’s cooking classes are designed for children and their families and are fun and educational while filling everyone’s appetite. Everyone will learn how to turn simple ingredients (like flour and water) into delicious traditional pastas and pizzas with all choices of toppings. You’ll learn how to prepare pasta sauces and pizza toppings using the seasonal vegetables and herbs from the garden. Secondi, main courses too, Tuscan beans and vegetables, while always finishing with a delicious dessert. You’ll whip up gelato, pick your favorite: pear, chocolate, vanilla, orange, peach, kiwi, to name but a few, depending on the season’s harvest; along with twice-baked cantucci, cookies, zuccotto, Tuscan cake with fresh fruit and cream, and schiacciata alla Fiorentina, sponge cake filled with whipped cream, chocolate, cream and jam.
Following each cooking class, everyone enjoys the food prepared in class together at our table. A toast of local red or white wine for adults and soft drinks and water are available for the children.
When you are not cooking, relax in the garden, take a bicycle ride through the Tuscan hills or go for a dip in the swimming pool (weather permitting). Or why not drive to the town of Vinci where you can visit the Leonardo da Vinci museum which features exhibits on many of Leonardo’s interests: from human anatomy, mechanical clocks and flying machines to building site machinery and war machines.
The countryside villa is the perfect setting for your stay- just minutes from Chef Barbara’s kitchen. The residence was originally built in the year 1771 – typical of many Tuscan farmhouses of that time and constructed in a square form with rooftop dovecotes. The villa is steeped in centuries of history but has been recently renovated and converted to a B&B offering charming bedrooms, a breakfast room and an outdoor swimming pool. All furnishings maintain the history and original style of the villa, with modern amenities and ensuite private bathrooms, TV, safe, hairdryer and Wi-Fi Internet. Bedrooms overlook the property’s gardens and surrounding Tuscan hills. The estate also includes a farm, peach orchard and olive grove including over 3,000 olive trees. There’s a vineyard and a wine cellar too. Sweet lovers will be happy with the property’s production of several jams and marmalades, made in-house with their harvest of organic fruit. The farm advocates a healthy diet with their organic fruit and produce grown on the property.
Breakfast is included and includes an ample homemade buffet spread with Tuscan cakes, breads, and jams along with fresh fruits and vegetables, eggs, frittatas and artisan cheese from the nearby farm, and only genuine local products are used to make the fresh breads, cakes and tortes.
Itinerary ~ 4 Days, 3 Nights
Day 1: Arrival & Check In
- Pick up from Florence Airport or Train Station and transfer to property.
- Check in, relax. Kids have a chance to explore the Villa’s farm and gardens, or go for a swim in the outdoor pool (weather permitting).
- In the evening, a light Chef’s Welcome Dinner. Taste Tuscany’s famous salamis, smoked meats, cheeses, fresh grilled vegetables and light salads, along with wood-oven baked breads (rigorously without salt, by Tuscan tradition) – vegetarian or anything special upon request, and a sweet bite to finish. Included is a toast with a glass of local wine for adults, and soft drinks and water for the children. Additional wine & beverages available at a surcharge.
Day 2: Market Visit & Cooking Class 1
- Breakfast is served.
- Meet Chef Barbara for an early morning market visit. Throughout the tour, she shares her knowledge of the fruits and vegetables in season and how to choose the best products to be used in class. Then, return to the kitchen and roll up your sleeves for kneading, rolling and baking in your hands-on cooking class with Chef Barbara, including the preparation of a four-course traditional menu, including pizza or fresh pasta making and lasting approximately 3 hours.
- Lunch follows on the foods prepared in class. A toast of local red or white wine and coffee included for adults and soft drinks and water for children.
- Afternoon is free to relax at the B&B, go for a swim or zip into Florence for the afternoon. Our suggestion is to explore the charming town of Vinci. Vinci is the home of the Leonardo Da Vinci Museum, dedicated to the art and work of this Renaissance man and includes models of some of his most famous designs and inventions.
Day 3: Excursion to Pisa, Gelateria Visit & Gelato Making Class 2
- Breakfast is served.
- After breakfast, your driver will pick you up for a private half day excursion through the Tuscan Hills to Pisa, home of the historical Leaning Tower. Everyone will love the climb to the top to admire the bird’s eye view of the town and the beautiful Italian countryside. Lunch on your own. Suggestions are provided.
- Following your tour to Pisa, we meet Chef Barbara at one of her favorite gelaterias for a behind-the scenes-tour of how gelato is made. Informal discussion with tastings are included. Following this fun-filled tour, we head back to Chef Barbara’s kitchen where the kids will learn how to make gelato. Parents are welcome to join in the fun or relax in the garden with caffè or tea.
- Dinner on your own. Suggestions provided upon request.
Day 4: Departure
- Breakfast is served.
- Check out & transfer to Florence Airport or Train Station.
*Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the program.
- 4 days, 3 nights accommodations in the charming Florence countryside B&B, based on double occupancy. Click to view!
- Daily breakfast and maid service.
- Light Dinner on your first evening including local salami, cheese, fresh breads & salads and a sweet bite to finish. Local wine & water included for the adults, soft drinks for the children. Additional wine & beverages at a surcharge.
- Local market visit with informal discussion with the Chef.
- 2 Hands-on cooking classes including the preparation of a four-course traditional menu including pizza or fresh pasta making, lasting about 3 hours. Lunch follows on the foods prepared in class. Local wine and coffee included for adults, soft drinks and water for the children.
- Half day excursion to Pisa with driver.
- 1 gelato making class. Afternoon at a local gelateria and hands-on gelato making with the Chef follows.
- Welcome bag, chef’s apron and recipe booklet.
- Round trip transfers from Florence Airport or Station.
- Wi-Fi Internet connection available.
*A rental car is suggested for this countryside program to give you complete independence to tour on your own in your free time and visit the hilltop Tuscan towns.
$1,395 per person, based on double occupancy. All taxes and Italian VAT included.
**Children 10 and under are half off when accompanied by two adults in family room.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out.