Join Chefs Filomena, Fortunata and Emilio as they lead you through hands-on cooking classes in Positano for a week of food, wine, culture and sun-filled days in our Bespoke VIP cooking tour. Roll up your sleeves and join our chefs as they share their Neapolitan recipes making pizza, fresh pasta, antipasto, fish, meat and desserts, while learning about the healthy foods and the Mediterranean diet. Check into the Villa, walk out to your private terrace overlooking Positano, and begin your week of luxury!
Your stay in the Villa, which was once the residence of a noble Neapolitan family, echoes times past when this itinerary was once part of the Grand Tour. The majestic property carries on tradition with elegant accommodations. Follow the footsteps in a residence where kings and queens cooked and entertained lavishly – overlooking the sea in sunny Positano!
Cooking Classes Positano ~ In The Lemon Lifestyle
The hands-on cooking classes take place in a professional kitchen and include traditional Mediterranean and Neapolitan recipes, antipasto, pasta, main course and dessert, made with delicious seasonal produce. Following each lesson, cooking class participants enjoy the fruits of their labor with a toast of Aglianico, red, or Falanghina, white wine. One special menu that you will experience is a menu infused with the precious sfusato lemons of the Amalfi Coast – from the first course to the dessert. You will learn about the health benefits and great flavors the Amalfi Coast lemon brings to lemon pasta, risotto or gnocchi, fish with lemon leaves, Delizia al Limone or lemon gelato!
Mediterranean Cooking Vacations In Positano
Cooking in the rhythm of the seasons is our philosophy. Spring, summer, to winter and fall, as our gardens change so do our menus. Cooking with the seasonal bounties keeps your body balanced and healthy. Your menu will include: fiori di zucca– Italian squash flowers stuffed with ricotta and basil; arancini – Arborio rice balls, stuffed with cheese, peas, meat (and veggies for the vegetarians in the kitchen) and flash-fried to a golden crisp; focaccia & pizza; fresh pasta & ravioli – learning how to make pasta dough and the ricotta, pumpkin, eggplant & smoked mozzarella or mushroom stuffing. You will see and prepare a variety of fresh local fish, indigenous to the local seas, such as orata on lemon leaves and pesce all’acqua pazza – fish in crazy water, with fresh tomato, white wine, garlic and parsley. Dessert making takes any sweet to new heights with the local version of torta Caprese & torta di limone. *This is just a sample of dishes prepared in class, some items may change based on the season.
Positano is a little Moorish-style village, discovered by American and British troops at the end of World War II. Opening onto the Tyrrhenian Sea, this small town has for years attracted a plethora of renowned artists and writers including the famous writer John Steinbeck. Steinbeck said that ‘Positano bites deep, it’s a dream place’, an opinion shared by many of the town’s modern day visitors. Positano’s narrow winding streets are lined with tiny cafés, terraces, and artisan shops selling ceramics, limoncello, antiques and the distinctive Positano-style handmade clothes.
Walk the cobblestone footpath, the little street that leads down to the beach, lined with local artists selling their crafts. Visit the parish church of Santa Maria Assunta in Piazza Flavio Gioia, a Romanesque structure that was completely rebuilt in 1700. The locals of Positano celebrate the feast day of the church every August 15th, as they carry the statue of Maria Assunta along the beach accompanied by a parade of musicians. A spectacular fireworks display follows under the stars, with boats arriving in hundreds to watch and celebrate from the sea. Stroll the beach and visit the famous L’Incanto Ristorante dotted with straight lines of orange beach chairs and umbrellas or hop on a boat along the coast. Spring, summer and fall months are most colorful in this seaside town, however the off-season months still have a moody, quiet charm all of their own.
The Amalfi Coast
The Amalfi region and the Sorrento Peninsula have attracted travelers, explorers, emperors, artists and poets for centuries. The mesmerizing colors, dramatic coastlines, year-round warm climate and hospitable people combine to make the region a heavenly seaside destination. One of our adventurous excursions takes you from a private villa to the cobblestone streets of ancient Ravello, driving you through the winding Amalfi Coast past villages and vineyards that are nestled among the jagged cliffs. Each turn on the road is a treasure to behold, and the beginning of a memory that will last a lifetime.
The Villa Azzurra
The Villa Azzurra is a luxurious one-of-a-kind Villa property in Positano. Overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea in the seaside resort of Positano, the Villa has a rich history and culture. The Villa is divided into 1, 2, and 3-bedroom suites, each suite decorated with stylish antique furniture, modern touches and all the modern comforts one would need. There is a fully equipped kitchen with dinnerware, crockery and pans, flatware and linens. Cool, pastel ceramic tiles line the floors, a collection of rare art and paintings deck the walls, and high, vaulted white ceilings give each room a lofty feel. Each suite features modern amenities including a private bathroom, living room, in-room safe, air conditioning and a tiled terrace offering breathtaking sea views. Elegant furniture adorns each room. Spacious floor-to-ceiling windows spill out onto the terrace and showcase a panoramic sea view that spans Li Galli Islands and Positano. There is an air of centuries-old charm topped with modern accents surrounding the Villa. Its unmatched setting of sea and sun make it one of the most desirable luxury villa properties on the Amalfi Coast. A few steps down the Villa’s ancient stone walk is Positano’s town center.
Itinerary ~ 8 Days, 7 Nights
Check in and start your program on any day of the week
Saturday: Benvenuto and Chef’s Tasting Dinner
- Pick-up and transfer from Naples airport or train station to the property.
- Arrival and check-in to your Villa suite and meet the property manager who explains the features of your Suite. Each suite overlooks the sea and has private terrace. Refresh and relax on your private terrace with an aperitivo.
- Read over the contents of your Welcome Bag including helpful information that will acquaint you with the area, and go over your itinerary for your cooking program. Also included is your Chef’s apron and general information and notes on landmarks, and our Hot Pick Insider’s Guide to the best of Positano & The Amalfi Coast.
- Later in the evening, you will be served the full course Chef’s Tasting Dinner at our favorite local restaurant. Dine on award-winning southern regional Italian food set in charming surroundings that overlook the panoramic Amalfi Coast. (Wine, drinks, grappa and an assortment of after dinner digestives are not included, and are available at a surcharge).
Sunday: Capri, Italy’s Glamorous Seaside Island and The Blue Grotto
- A full-day visit to the Isle of Capri, where you can choose to see the Blue Grotto – the ‘Eighth Wonder of the World’, or stroll along the port. The Blue Grotto has a special cavern entrance where the sunlight reflects on the water in the cave, tingeing it a dramatic Mediterranean cerulean shade of blue. Capri is Italy’s most popular and well-known seaside island and is just twenty minutes away. Once in the port of Capri, you can choose to take the funicular up to the famous Piazza Umberto. The square, better known as ‘la piazzetta,’ is perched high above the sea and offers a panoramic view of the Bay of Naples and Ischia. At the main Piazza, you will find many designer shops and luxury boutiques or you can simply sit at a café and enjoy a gelato or Prosecco Mimosa.
- A favorite place on Capri is Anacapri. This old world village that once captured the hearts of writers, artists and poets is dainty, delicate and quiet. Anacapri, the highest point on the island, virtually carries you back in time. Walk through narrow streets lined with Grecian-style whitewashed villas, ancient churches, 13 approximately at 12 noon and you have 4 hours on the island to explore on your own. Your Captain will explain your meeting point, please be on time for your departure. (If you suffer from seasickness let us know and we will put you on the Positano Jet which takes 25 to 30 minutes each way, without the Capri Island tour by boat).
- Turn your day on Capri into a culinary adventure with Food Lover guide, Annarita, who knows how to show you the best addresses on Capri for our Food Lover’s Tour Capri including food, wine and dolce Imagine learning food notes & history from local resident guide, Annarita, the traditions of the Isola Azzurra, the blue Island. Walk along the ancient street of the famous Island tasting and discussing the typical food traditions, like pizza frite, arancini, focaccia, gelato and even a shakerato. Little treats made in a big way during the Food Lover’s Tour on Capri.
- Annarita greets you for this fun food tour that will give you insight into the healthy Mediterranean diet! Before you can finish saying Ciao, you will be tasting local delicious tastings of Italy’s best artisan makers. Learn about the local pasta, the Torte Caprese, artisan breads, wine and more. All products are raised naturally. Taste & Tour with Annarita for a total immersion on Capri and the traditional food culture. As you continue on your Gourmet Food Lover’s Tour, learn about the local pastas, seasonal sauces, rice for Risottos, spices & herbs, and local foods like zeppole & pizzette to name a few. Following your tour, return to the boat and depart for Positano
- This full day excursion departs from Positano port at 9:00am, the boat continues around the island and you will be able to see the Natural Arch, White, Green and Blue Grotto lasting approximately 3 hours, and then docks in Marina Grande approximately at 12noon and you have 4 hours on the island to explore on your own. Your Captain will explain your meeting point, please be on time for your departure. (If you suffer from sea sickness let us know and we will put you on the Positano Jet which takes 25 to 30 minutes each way, without the Capri Island tour by boat).
- Evening free and dinner is on your own. Suggestion: Tre Sorelle. Tell Luigi you were recommended by Cooking Vacations.
Monday: Positano ~ Cooking Class 1
- Cooking Class 1 Tie on your apron and get cooking! You will be slicing, dicing and cooking along side your Chefs creating an antipasto, pasta, main course and dessert. Lunch follows and dines on the foods that were prepared in the cooking class together. Toast with a glass of local red or white wine and end with a sweet dessert. Additional wines, beverages and after-dinner digestives available at a surcharge.
- After lunch, enjoy the landscape of Positano and stroll through the cobblestone streets. Walk under pergola and by the Piazza Mulini until you reach the Spiaggia Grande. This once sleepy fishermen’s village is now called the pearl of the Coast.
Tuesday: Cooking Class 2
- Cooking In The Lemon Lifestyle & Making Limoncello Start out your cooking class making the famous lemon liqueur called Limoncello. Limoncello is the famous drink of the Amalfi Coast, and you too will learn to make perfect, fragrant, yellow Limoncello. Step-by-step, you will pick up all the tricks and turn out your very own lemon liqueur. The Positano lemons used in making authentic DOP Limoncello, blossom and bloom four times per year. We start off the class with an informal discussion on the history behind the lemons and how they made their way on the Amalfi Coast. Learn our secrets of cooking with the Amalfi Coast lemons. Get peeling and watch the famous lemon liqueur come alive before your eyes. As the lemons bathe in the magic mixture, we fill your glass with an ice cold Limoncello. Tasting of limoncello included.
- Followed by your Cooking Class 2: Cooking In The Lemon Lifestyle Learn the little history on the sfusato lemons, a very special variety that only grow on the Amalfi Coast. Our Chefs will lead the way teaching you how to prepare lemon-infused antipasto, fresh handmade lemon pasta, local fish or chicken seasoned with lemon, and Amalfi lemon cake. Vegetarian and gluten free menus are available.
- Lunch follows and dines on the foods that were prepared in the cooking class together. Toast with a glass of local red or white wine and end with a sweet dessert. Additional wines, beverages and after-dinner digestives available at a surcharge.
Wednesday: Amalfi Coast and Visit To Ravello
- Drive along the famed Amalfi Coast headed with a stop at the artisan ceramic maker. Colors, patterns, and old-world ceramics including tabletops made of volcanic rock are a sample of the unique artisan crafts you will see. This family-owned producer of ceramics also ships worldwide.
- The town of Amalfi is rich in culture and history. This small town, perched on the coastline, is dominated by Amalfi’s Cathedral and its main streets are lined with small shops and elegant bars. Merchants display their wares outside and nothing could be more pleasant than browsing through stalls of herbs and spices, jewelry, shoes, handmade Amalfi paper, and local lemon specialties such as soaps and local lemon liqueurs. Take time out to shop or stop for a cappuccino and enjoy a few minutes of people watching.
- If you have a sweet tooth we suggest a stop at the famous café that has been creating dolci since the 1800’s- get ready for a dessert like you have never tasted. This famous pastry shop bakes a one-of-a-kind Amalfi dessert with chocolate-drenched eggplant flavored with pine nuts, liqueur and orange, or you can try the fragrant ricotta & pear tart.
- Ravello follows. This quaint town, often called the city between ‘Sea & Sky’, is suspended high above the coast, with sweeping views that span everything from the Tyrrhenian Sea to the mountains inland. Ravello is hailed the ‘International City of Music’ and is known for its precious panoramic view from the gardens of Villa Cimbrone. The town is perched 350 meters over the rocky spur of the Amalfi Coast separating the Valle del Dragone from the Valle del Regina. Today, Ravello is world-famous for its outdoor music concerts. Visit Villa Cimbrone, once the residence of Greta Garbo, wander through the lush gardens and the Terrazza Della Rosa, or stroll down the path that leads to the Terrazzo dell’Infinito (Terrace of Infinity). This natural balcony is adorned with imposing marble busts. From this unique vantage point you can see the distant Cilento Mountains and the Licosa beyond the sparkling sea, the lush Amalfi Coast, its distinctive terraces of colorful lemon trees, and the typical whitewashed houses that cling to the rugged coastline. Stroll along the streets and alleyways and discover little gems of churches, chapels, and noblemens’ residences. Also see the Cathedral, Villa Rufolo, San Giovanni del Tauro, and Santa Maria.
Add-On Our Guide For The Amalfi Food Lover’s Walk and Ravello Landmark Tour
- You may also reserve our English-speaking guide and local resident for the Amalfi Food Walk & Ravello Landmark Tour, learning about the local food, history and culture. If you want to see the towns of Amalfi & Ravello like a local, while tasting great foods, add on this tasty food tour. Stroll to the fish market, cheese artisan and bread baker. Also included is a stop at one of Amalfi’s most historic pastry, chocolate and gelato makers. Tastings are included. After Amalfi, your guide continues her tour in Ravello, with a visit to Villa Rufolo or Villa Cimbrone and the Terrazza dell’Infinito. (*Entrance fees not included.) Stroll through Medieval Gardens, piazzas, pathways and by ancient landmarks while learning about the invaders, kings and queens, writers and movie stars who lived here. End in the piazza with a toast of Prosecco. A 3-hour tour with English speaking, tastings are included. (Guide’s fee is extra, please reserve in advance.)
You will visit a famous boutique food shop which showcases local and artisan foods including an assortment of cheeses, salumi, bread, pastas,olives, spices and wines, tastings included. Your guide will explain the different foods and how they are used in cooking. Next stop the limoncello maker with Amalfi Coast sfumato limone with tastings. We continue through Amalfi and end with a visit to the most famous pastry shop with tastings. We continue onto Ravello where we tour the gardens then take a seat in the piazza for a Prosecco.
- Return to Positano in the afternoon.
- Evening is free and dinner is on your own.
Thursday: Cooking Class 3 & Olive Oil Tasting
- Cooking Class 3: Tie on your apron and get ready for your third hands-on cooking class. Alongside the chefs, create a traditional antipasto, first course, second course and dessert. Lunch or dinner follows on the foods prepared in class after the cooking class. Toast with a glass of red or white local wine, and end with a sweet dessert, both included. (Additional wines, beverages, after dinner drinks and more are available at a surcharge).
- Olive Oil Tasting. Join us for a tasting of our locally produced Extra Virgin Olive Oil. At Cooking Vacations we make our own first-cold pressed extra virgin olive oil from healthy olives that have been tended and cared for all summer long. We use only the first cold press Virgin olive oil. It means that the oil we bottle is pressed only one time giving it a clean fresh taste. Virgin means it is pure and not mixed with anything else. It is DOP-Denominazione di Origine Protetta, ‘origin protected’ domain of production-and “made on site in Italy.” Grown under the warm Mediterranean sun, in rich volcanic soil, and with salt sea winds, our olives make perfect olive oil. We respect the old world process of picking just at the right time, just in October and not too late in the season. Always organic. Our olive oil it is made without chemicals or preservatives, we promise. The informal tasting provides a bit of insight into tasting, buying and using olive oil.
Friday: Wine Pairing Dinner
- Morning and afternoon free to soak up your last precious moments on the Amalfi Coast. Why not take a trip along the coast to visit the town of Sorrento? Or simply treat yourself to a last lazy day on the beach with a good book.
- In the evening, enjoy your Gourmet Tasting Dinner with wine pairings. Your four-course dinner includes appetizer, first course, second course & dessert tasting with a glass of wine paired with each course. Additional wines/beverages at a surcharge.
- Departure and transfer to the Naples Airport or Train Station.
- Ciao e a presto!
*Note: This sample itinerary schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days; festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the week. Please note that museum tickets are not included in program price.
- 8 days/7 nights in luxury Villa accommodations with private bath and terrace, based on double occupancy. Click To View!
- Full course Chef’s Tasting Menu on your first night arrival. (Wine, beverages, after-dinner liqueurs and caffè available at a surcharge).
- 3 hands-on cooking classes, with lunch or dinner following. A toast of wine included. (Additional wine and drinks available at a surcharge).
- 1 Limoncello making class with discussion and tastings to follow.
- Olive Oil Tasting with informal discussion and tastings.
- Excursion to Amalfi and Ravello with driver. (Private tour guide available on request).
- Full day excursion to Capri with Food Lover’s Tour with our guide Annarita, professional guide, food lover & art historian.
- Gourmet Wine Pairing Dinner. Four-course dinner includes appetizer, first course, second course & dessert tasting with a glass of wine paired with each course. Additional wines/beverages at a surcharge.
- Cooking Vacations’ Chef Apron & recipe booklet.
- Round trip group transfers from Naples Airport or Naples Train station to Positano.*
- * Wi-Fi internet connection available.
1-Bedroom Villa Suites: Vettica, Fortezza & Torre
$4,795 per person, based on double occupancy in 1-Bedroom Vettica (High Season).
$4,195 per person, based on double occupancy in 1-Bedroom Vettica (Low Season).
$4,895 per person, based on double occupancy in 1-Bedroom Fortezza (High Season).
$4,295 per person, based on double occupancy in 1-Bedroom Fortezza (Low Season).
$4,895 per person, based on double occupancy in 1-Bedroom Torre (High Season).
$4,395 per person, based on double occupancy in 1-Bedroom Torre (Low Season).
2-Bedroom Villa Suites: Fiore, Isola & Sirena
$4,895 per person, based on double occupancy in 2-Bedroom Fiore (High Season).
$4,295 per person, based on double occupancy in 2-Bedroom Fiore (Low Season).
$3,395 per person, based on 4 people in 2-Bedroom Fiore (High Season).
$2,995 per person, based on 4 people in 2-Bedroom Fiore (Low Season).
$4,895 per person, based on double occupancy in 2-Bedroom Isola (High Season).
$4,495 per person, based on double occupancy in 2-Bedroom Isola (Low Season).
$3,495 per person, based on 4 people in 2-Bedroom Isola (High Season).
$3,095 per person, based on 4 people in 2-Bedroom Isola (Low Season).
$4,895 per person, based on double occupancy 2-Bedroom Sirena (High Season).
$4,295 per person, based on double occupancy 2-Bedroom Sirena (Low Season).
$3,395 per person, based on 4 people in 2-Bedroom Sirena (High Season).
$2,995 per person, based on 4 people in 2-Bedroom Sirena (Low Season).
3-Bedroom Villa Suite: La Terrazza
$4,295 per person, based on 3 people in 3-Bedroom La Terrazza (High Season).
$3,995 per person, based on 3 people in 3-Bedroom La Terrazza (Low Season).
$3,695 per person, based on 4 people in 3-Bedroom La Terrazza (High Season).
$3,395 per person, based on 4 people in 3-Bedroom La Terrazza (Low Season).
$3,295 per person, based on 5 people in 3-Bedroom La Terrazza (High Season).
$2,995 per person, based on 5 people in 3-Bedroom La Terrazza (Low Season).
$2,995 per person, based on 6 people in 3-Bedroom La Terrazza (High Season).
$2,795 per person, based on 6 people in 3-Bedroom La Terrazza (Low Season).
Italian VAT included.
High Season: May 1 to September 30.
Low Season: October 1 to April 30.
2019 Dates: This program is available throughout the year. Check in is on Saturday, but you may check in and start your cooking program any day of the week. If you check in on any other day besides Saturday, you simply start your program on that day and pick up that day’s activities. You will have all your activities included. This program is available 12 months per year. Rates are subject to change based on currency exchange. Call for updated rates. Airfare not included. Group transfers for any cooking tour or tours that include transfers, are for the group and are not private. Transfers before, after or to another destination outside of your cooking tour are not included in the program price. If you would like to add on a private transfer or transfers, let us know and we will send you pricing.
***Positano has many stairs throughout. People who do not like to walk or have health problems are advised to read up on the landscape of Positano and reserve the 3-Star~By The Piazza or 4-Star option. We suggest walking shoes, sun block, and a hat for Capri and Pompeii.
ROUND TRIP TRANSFERS
*Round trip group transfers from Naples Airport/Train to Positano and from Positano to Naples Airport/Train are included in your program. 1 transfer per group each way. ARRIVAL-Arrival transfers from Naples Airport going to Positano are at scheduled 1:00pm and 4:00pm; and from Naples train station to Positano at 3:00pm, in consideration of international arrivals. Departures leave promptly at the scheduled time. For single travelers not arriving on a Saturday, an additional transfer fee will apply. Please call us if you have any questions about your airline and train itinerary.
If you cannot make the scheduled group transfer time, a special transfer can be reserved and the cost is 130€ per car; 165€ if after 6pm. All transfer fees are payable directly to the car service. Please call us if you have any questions.
DEPARTURE-Departure from the property in Positano to Naples Airport/Train are at 4am and 10am (in heavy traffic conditions, departures may start 30 minutes prior). 10am is the official property check out time on the morning of your departure. If you would like an earlier or later departure transfer, a special transfer departure can be reserved and the cost is 130€ per car; 165€ if before 8:00am.
For single travelers not arriving/departing on a Saturday, an additional transfer fee will apply. All extra add on transfer fees are payable directly to the car service. Please call us if you have any questions.
City taxes, which vary, are not included and must be paid by each guest on site at the time of check out.