Tie on your apron with Chef Maria in our Mare e Monti Amalfi Coast cooking classes designed for those who love traditional Italian cooking and want to learn how to make the lasagne, ravioli, fish and desserts like their nonna!!! Join mamma Maria in Agerola, perched atop the Lattari Mountains, on the Amalfi Coast, and discover Amalfi Coast cooking classes, wine tasting, food lovers walks and life as a family in our Cooking Vacations on the Amalfi Coast tour.
Chef Maria has been cooking for many years and is an expert creating seasonal menus with vegetables and produce from her garden. Our Mare e Monti program immerses participants in the spirit of Southern Italian where sea-meets-mountain cooking comes together using farm-to-table ingredients.
You’ll also visit local produce markets, and take a Food Lover’s Tour to artisans who make mozzarella and bakers and a limoncello maker with tastings along the way. Agerola is also known for its Agerola Mozzarella! Learn how it is made and also used in traditional cooking. Chef Maria’s cooking school on the Amalfi Coast is a genuine experience with the family!
Following your Food Lover’s Tour, head to the kitchen and get ready to prepare mare e monti (sea food and clams, shrimp, fresh fish, and grass fed meat and free range chicken) antipasti, fresh pasta and seasonal sauces – think local provolone del monaco cheese, hand-cut tagliatelle and hearty lasagne. Main courses include beef, pork and free range chicken. Desserts are her speciality and Maria’s signature ones are zeppole, lemon cake, walnut cake and millefoglie with wild strawberries.
Maria’s husband Umberto grows his own organic vegetables – zucchini, fava beans, peas, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, chilli peppers, basil and parsley – and as part of the program you will be able to pick the fruits of the family vegetable garden and use them in your cooking class. Umberto also grows grapes at his vineyard and makes homemade wine. Not only will you learn about local wine making but sip and swirl along the way.
Amalfi Coast Accommodation
Our charming Mare e Monti program is hosted at our villa style Bed & Breakfast in the small town of Agerola on the Amalfi Coast. Each bedroom has a terrace or balcony offering enchanting sea views. Cool terracotta tiles line each large bedroom. All rooms have a private bathroom with a shower and hair-dryer, and a TV. Breakfast is served each morning in the cozy dining area, wi-fi internet, and daily maid service is provided for your convenience. The Bed & Breakfast is situated in a wonderfully panoramic position with views spanning the Mediterranean and Li Galli Islands. There is an attractive garden where guests can relax in the shade of a tree in the company of a good book, do a little sun bathing or enjoy a meal cooked in the residence’s kitchen. As the sun begins to set, sip a cool aperitivo on your balcony and watch the heavy orange sun sink below the horizon. Around you are chestnut trees, fig trees, perfumed jasmine, beautiful geraniums, flowering lavender, and a collection of terracotta pots dripping with rosemary bushes, mint, herbs, and flowers.
Known both as the Piccola Svizzera (little Switzerland) and the Grande Terrazza sul Mare (the great terrace overlooking the sea), the small town of Agerola is situated in an idyllic spot, suspended between sea and the sky, in the Lattari Mountains above the Amalfi Coast. Approximately 600 meters above sea level, Agerola was for years the oasis sought out by wealthy Neapolitans seeking respite from the hot, dusty city during summer months. Still today, it is an area much appreciated for its natural beauty, its lush green hills enjoying the cool air of the mountains while offering extraordinary views of the Amalfi Coast, from Amalfi and beyond, all the way to Praiano, Li Galli Islands and Capri. A mix of sea and mountain, you will prepare mountain cooking class menus and sea menus.
Agerola is cherished by nature lovers who delight in exploring the area’s countryside: chestnut woods and farmers’ cottages, walking paths that lead through gardens and terraces of well-tended vines, and of course, the local trekking trails. Starting from Agerola, explore Italy’s most gorgeous countryside treks called The Walk Of The Gods. Meandering paths that begin at the top of the mountain and wind gradually downwards through breathtaking scenery and surrounded by Mediterranean shrubbery – wild rosemary, thyme, oregano, garlic, myrtle, thistles, prickly pears and wild figs. Then past vines, houses and smallholdings clutching to the hillside, the narrow path next giving onto the Amalfi Coast, glittering expanses of sea on one side and the dramatic limestone backdrop of the Monti Lattari behind. This theatrical meeting of sea and mountain has been attracting visitors since Ancient Roman times, with unbeatable views of towering cliffs plunging sharply into a cerulean sea, and tiny bays dotted with local fishing boats. Hillsides are lined with terraces of well-tended lemon groves, the trees bright green speckled with the yellow fruit in summer and swathed in black netting to attract the sun in winter. Tranquility reigns along these narrow pathways, with only the bleating of goats or the cry of an exotic bird to break the silence and interrupt your reverie.
Agerola is the perfect location for exploring the many local places of interest: on the one hand, the town and villages of the coast – Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, Vietri, Praiano, Sorrento and Capri; on the other, the must-see sites of Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum and Naples.
All cooking classes take place in Maria’s country kitchen and include the preparation of a full menu, antipasto, fresh pasta with seasonal sauce, main course and dessert. Discover more about the area’s wonderful local products and cooking traditions, and watch carefully as Maria guides you through lessons on handmade pasta, delicious lasagne, and pasta with porcini mushrooms. Try your hand at preparing traditional veal dishes, chicken and rabbit roasted in lemon leaves, grilled beef, and sweets like cream-filled zeppole, walnut cake and ricotta and pear tart. Please note that the menus are samples and all menus depend on the availability of seasonal produce including the vegetables which are gathered fresh every day from the organic vegetable garden.
Itinerary: 4 days, 3 nights
Day 1: Benvenuto & Welcome Dinner
• Arrival and check in. Pick-up and transfer to property.
• Check into your room, meet your hosts, and review your program.
• Sit out on the terrace with a cool Prosecco and relax.
• Later in the evening, a Welcome Dinner featuring a full tasting menu with wine and caffe include.
Day 2: Cooking Class 1 and Visit to Artisan Mozzarella Producer
• Breakfast is served.
• In the morning, visit to the traditional mozzarella producers in Agerola. Discover how they make the area’s delicious fior di latte and additional artisan cheese with tastings included.
• Lunch is on your own.
• Afternoon – your first hands-on cooking class including a full course menu. Prepare traditional of mare e monti, sea and land, antipasti, Neapolitan lasagne, caponata, a delicious bread and mozzarella salad and homemade babà drenched in limoncello. Dinner follows everyone enjoys the food that was prepared in the cooking class with wine and caffe included.
Day 3: Morning Food Trip To Local Limoncello Producer & Cooking Class 2
• Breakfast is served.
• An early morning departure to a local limoncello producer where you will discover the secrets to making this much loved local liqueur that is made with the fragrant Amalfi Coast lemons.
• Lunch on your own – pick out a local pizzeria or trattoria and enjoy a quick bite to eat.
• In the afternoon, tie on your apron and get ready for your second hands-on cooking class. Today’s lesson will introduce you to some of the area’s delicious fish. You will prepare a traditional mixed seafood antipasti, la calamarata – pasta prepared with local squid, followed by baked local fish with garden vegetables and millefoglie with wild strawberries for dessert. Dinner follows everyone enjoys the food that was prepared in the cooking class with wine and caffe included.
Day 4: Arrivederci
• Breakfast is served
• Check out and arrivederci!
Note: This sample itinerary schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saints days; festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the week.
- 3 nights, 4 days accommodation in B&B villa property. Click to View!
- Daily breakfast and maid service.
- Welcome dinner featuring a Chef’s tasting dinner featuring a full course menu of regional fare with wine and caffe included.
- 2 Cooking classes, followed the food prepared in the cooking class with wine, water, dessert and coffee included.
- Guided visit to artisan mozzarella maker with tastings included.
- Guided visit to artisan limoncello maker with tastings included.
- Welcome bag with chef’s apron, recipe booklet and Prosecco.
- Wi-Fi internet connection available.
- Round trip transfers to and from Naples Airport or Train to property.
- Cooking Vacations welcome bag with chef’s apron, Prosecco and recipe booklet.
$2,195 per person, based on 2 guests.
$2,995 per person, based on 1 guest.