Siena, the romantic Tuscan city, conjures up thoughts of the Piazza del Campo, Palio, the Siena Cathedral, the Duomo and Saint Catherine of Siena. Step inside its Medieval wall and step back in time. Stroll through ancient streets and the historic piazza, before slipping into your beautiful hotel, an oasis of calm in this bustling town center. Our cooking program with Chef Gabriella takes you through three days of cooking Tuscan classics while teaching you the importance of regional products and precious Tuscan wines. When you are not in the kitchen, Nicoletta, native Senese takes you on a fascinating tour of Siena’s best-loved monuments, boutiques and artisan workshops with food tastings along the way.
Tie on your apron with Chef Gabriella and immerse yourself into hands-on authentic cooking classes where you will learn about true Tuscan menus from antipasto, fresh handmade pasta accompanied by sauces made from seasonal products and desserts. Chef Gabriella’s menus are prepared with local, seasonal ingredients, and follow the food philosophy of old world. Menus reflect Gabriella’s passion for reviving historic recipes and giving them a contemporary twist, ensuring that dishes are lighter and better suited to the modern palate. Classics include delicious homemade pici pasta, tagliatelle, ravioli, then again local Chianina beef, beans, stuffed vegetables and of course, cantucci biscuits to be dipped in vin santo make for a perfect ending! Everyone joins in to enjoy the foods made in class following in lunch or dinner, and a ¼ liter of excellent local wine and mineral water (still or sparkling) is included.
Set among the olive groves and vineyards of Chianti, Siena is one of the most popular and attractive towns of Tuscany. It is a town that has changed very little over the centuries, and its unique Piazza del Campo, the central piazza, is known as one of the most beautiful town squares in Europe. Famous for its annual historic horse race, the Palio, which takes place in the central piazza, Siena has so much to offer each visitor. The Duomo is a striking example of Italian Romanesque architecture and was originally intended to be the grandest cathedral in existence (before funds ran out!), and Palazzo Pubblico, which houses Ambrogio Lorenzetti frescos are another masterpiece not to be missed. And just a few steps away from the main square are the narrow, winding streets that make for adventure and led to hidden angles of this ancient town, past pretty squares, and along fabulous restaurants, cafes and theaters.
Relax and enjoy your beautiful accommodations set in the heart of Siena. Each private room is decorated with elegant furnishings and boasts a colorful view over the town of Siena. Warm Tuscan colors create a cozy atmosphere, and antique prints line the walls and hallways. Each private room has a stylish en-suite bathroom equipped with hairdryer and quality linens. Take a stroll through the red brick cloisters, and enjoy breakfast under the brick vaulted ceilings. Nestling within the city walls, this historic property is perfectly situated for reaching shops and monuments alike, providing welcome respite from Siena’s bustling center.
Itinerary: 3 Days, 2 Nights
Check in and start your program on any day of the week
Day 1: Arrival & Check In
- Arrival in Siena and check in.
- In the evening, take a stroll round this beautiful town and pick out a little trattoria for dinner.
- Cooking Vacations offers a Restaurant Hot Pick list of the best ones to choose from.
Day 2: Guided Food & Landmark Tour Of Siena & Cooking Class
- Breakfast is served.
- Meet our English-speaking guide at 10 am for a Food & Landmark walking tour of Siena town center with tastings included along the way. Learn about the ancient city of Siena, the churches and museums while visiting all of the city’s most artisan food and wine purveyors. Start with a visit to the artisan bakery, who keeps the old world baking traditions alive, tastings included. Next, visit a food shop showcasing a variety of local pasta, fruits and vegetables and wine, with a glass of wine and a tasting included. Learn about pici pasta, and how it is still made by Tuscan Nonnas. The tour continues with a visit of the cathedral, considered to be one of the most beautiful in Italy. Visit the famous Piazza del Campo home to the Palio horse race. The famous Palio is the oldest event in Italy running annually since the 16th century. The tour ends on a sweet note in an ancient artisan cake shop where you will see how Siena’s famous Ricciarelli are made.
- After your tour, head to the kitchen for your Cooking Class 1 with Chef Gabriella. This hands-on cooking class focuses on the preparation of a full Tuscan menu, from antipasto, fresh pasta and sauces, a main course, and biscotti, cake or pastries. Dinner follows and everyone enjoys the foods that were prepared in class. Local wine included, additional wine and beverages at a surcharge.
- Evening is free and on your own. Our suggestion is to walk through Siena dusk, the colors, light on the ancient city and people watching too is a must!
Day 3: Cooking Class 2 & Departure
- Breakfast is served.
- Cooking Class 2 with Chef Gabriella. Everyone meets at Gabriella’s kitchen where you will create your second traditional Tuscan menu. This hands-on cooking class includes the preparation of an antipasto, fresh pasta with sauce, main course, and dessert. Lunch follows and everyone joins in to enjoy the foods that were prepared in class. Local wine included, additional wine/beverages at a surcharge.
- Check out and departure after lunch. Arrivederci!
- 3 days, 2 nights accommodations, based on 2 guests. Click to view!
- Daily breakfast and maid service.
- 2 hands-on cooking classes preparing a traditional Tuscan menu. Following the cooking class, everyone enjoys the food that was prepared in the class with wine included.
- Food Lover’s Landmark Walking Tour of Siena with English-speaking with abundant tastings included and a glass of wine included.
$1,195 per person, based on 2 guests.
For Single Guests: If you are traveling on your own, please call us for the best group price. We are happy to welcome you into an already scheduled group.
*An Italian visitor tax may apply in some cities and must be paid directly on site at check out.
ADD ON MORE DAYS
Stay A Little Longer – And Relax In Siena
Ancient Siena & The Palio Museum
Meet with Nicoletta, our native Senese and professional guide, at 10 am and set out on a fascinating journey through Siena’s history. Learn more about the town’s ancient monuments and its division into the famous Contrade. These were originally primitive military districts, but today the same districts come together for Siena’s fiercely fought horse race, the Palio. Thanks to Nicoletta, you’ll be able to visit the Palio museum (often closed to visitors), where you’ll discover the race’s ancient origins and why in Siena, it generates such rivalry and competition amongst locals. Tour lasts approximately 3 hours.
$335 based on 2 guests with abundant food tastings.
Museum entrance fees not included and payable at the door.