“The light cast a veil of gold over our Tuscan Table, it was a picnic for a prince, bread, cheese & a jug of Chianti…”
Join Chefs Filippo and Matteo in Moggiona, near to Poppi and Arezzo – just south of Florence, for an unforgettable trip through Tuscany’s world famous gastronomy. Along with their brother Andrea, a qualified sommelier, Filippo and Matteo welcome you to their handsome restructured villa residence and treat you to a comprehensive tour of Tuscan cooking and cuisine. This is an ideal course for food enthusiasts who wish not only to learn the secrets of local cuisine, but also to deepen their knowledge of quality ingredients and produce, and how to make the best of them in the kitchen. You couldn’t ask for three more passionate teachers than Filippo, Matteo and Andrea, whose enthusiasm invariably affects students with the same zest that inspires the three brothers to experiment, innovate, and recreate ancient Tuscan recipes that never fail to delight modern palates.
The cooking classes take place in the farmhouse’s beautifully renovated kitchen where you will discover the area’s local products ~ cheese, cold cuts, mushrooms, chianina meat, truffles, and, of course, wine! With skill and creativity, Chefs Filippo and Matteo will help you recreate wonderful traditional cuisine using only healthy, typical local ingredients. Hands-on cooking classes with the duo of the experienced Chefs will have you cooking like a professional too.
The Baron’s Wine Cellar
Villa la Ripa – Arezzo
Tenuta Vitereta – Arezzo
Tenimenti Luigi d’Alessandro – Cortona
Poggiotondo – Subbiano AR
Fonterutoli Marchesi Mazzei – Firenze
Marchesi de’ Frescobaldi Nipozzano – Pontassieve FI
Special wine tastings are available upon request.
Tuscany has been exerting its charm over visitors for centuries and after just one visit to this magical part of the world you will understand why. Rolling hills, charming farmhouses that dot the countryside with their perimeter of sentry-like cypress trees, medieval villages, country markets bursting with artisan produce and a simple, delicious cuisine whose roots reach back centuries and link dishes resolutely to the Tuscan territory are just some of the things you’ll remember long after you’ve finished your cooking course. Your stay with Filippo, Matteo and Andrea will detach you from Tuscany’s throng of visitors and welcome you to a secret part of Tuscany where in addition to your cooking classes, you will have time to soak up the charm of your peaceful, unspoiled surroundings, making it the perfect opportunity to relax both body and soul.
Touring The Tuscan Landscape
The professional staff is at your complete disposal to help make your stay as pleasant and memorable as possible. If you wish, they can help organize a tour of the National Park of Casentino Forest, where you can see deer, fox, wild boar and many different species of trees. The villa property is situated in a medieval town called Moggiona where local artisans were well known for their skillful works of stone and wood. The residence is near the Hermitage and Monastery of Camaldoli, where still today monks live and make use of homegrown medicinal herbs, and it is situated in a beautiful area for outdoor excursions, either on foot, or on horseback. There is also the possibility of taking part in a night excursion within the forest to see deer, fox and wild boar. For lovers of culture, on the other hand, there are interesting guided visits to one of the local castles, ancient churches and medieval towns where you can see the works of Piero della Francesca, Della Robbia, and Cimabue. A special visit is also available to the place where Dante Alighieri wrote the Divina Commedia, the most prestigious and welcoming destinations in the province of Arezzo. This program offers the flexibility for you to have a car and explore the sites on your own, or have us custom design excursions upon your request. Opt to explore the Tuscan Hills on bikes – as bikes can be rented by a nearby bike shop and be delivered to your property upon your arrival.
Set in the unspoiled beauty of the National Park of the Forest of Casentino, the family’s Villa property is immersed in some of Italy’s most striking countryside. Once an old farmhouse, this skillfully restored property has been converted into a luxury Villa with private guest suites. Each suite has been carefully and elegantly furnished and is fully equipped with modern comforts such as private bathroom, satellite TV and internet connection. The villa has a panoramic terrace and a swimming pool offering stunning views of the Tuscan over the valley and nearby Poppi Castle. There is also a lounge bar where you can sample various local products and enjoy a glass of wine by the side of the swimming pool lit up against the evening sky.
Itinerary: 4 Days, 3 Nights
You may check in and start your cooking program any day of the week. This program is available 12 months per year.
Day 1: Arrival & Welcome Dinner
- Arrival and private transfer from Florence airport or train station to the villa resort.
- Welcome cocktail & introduction to your cooking program.
- Welcome Dinner with typical, local products and excellent Tuscan wines, included.
Day 2: World Of Wine, Cooking Class & Poppi Excursion
- Breakfast is served.
- Head into the kitchen for your Cooking Class. Prepare a full course menu and lunch follows on the foods prepared in class. Wine pairing discussion and practice with Sommelier Andrea.
- In the afternoon, visit the ancient villa of the Camaldolesian monks dating from the 11th century and their historic cellar. Wine Tasting including white, red and sweet wine.
- Visit Poppi Castle and the ancient Library, that contains works from the 16th century and works by Dante Alighieri. Dinner follows, local wine included.
Day 3: Cellars of Arezzo Excursion
- Breakfast is served.
- Transfer by private car to Arezzo and visit the Cathedral, with works of Piero della Francesca, Cimabue and Piazza Grande. Lunch in a local hosteria.
- Trip to noted wine maker with the owner as your guide. Visit the vineyard, the ancient cellar, and taste the prized wines. Return to the villa in the late afternoon.
- Dinner is served and wines included. During dinner, our wine expert pairs excellent red and white wines with the food chefs Matteo and Filippo have prepared.
Day 4: Check Out & Arrivederci!
- Breakfast is served.
- Check out & departure transfer to Florence Airport or Train Station.
*Note: This schedule may vary due to inclement weather, saint days or festivals. All activities, in the event of rescheduling, are always included during the program.
- 4 days, 3 nights accommodations, based on double occupancy. Click to View!
- Daily Breakfast.
- All lunches and dinners included with wine, water and coffee.
- 1 hands-on cooking class, with lunch or dinner following on the foods prepared in class. Local wine, water and coffee included.
- Half-day excursion to Poppi.
- Full-day excursion to Arezzo and Tenuta Ornina.
- Arrival & Departure transfers from Florence Airport or Train Station or Arezzo Train Station.
$1,695 per person based on double occupancy in Double Room. All taxes and Italian VAT included.
$130 per person, supplement for Superior Suite, based on double occupancy.
$2,495 per person, based on single occupancy.